• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So talk me out of an AR-10

They are heavy AF. Nobody wants to tote a 10lb rifle.

I do. Doesn't bother me at all. I regularly tote rifle up to just over 16lbs with no issues or complaints.

Go for it. The AR10-type rifle is an excellent platform, if it's made of the right parts. Do everything from close to past 1,000yds with the right one.

When I wanted a .308 caliber semi-auto battle rifle that used at least 20-round mags, the AR-10's were very hard to find and outrageously expensive. So were things like the HK 91, the FN-FAL, etc.
So I got a Springfield M1A.

If I had the choice to do all over, and if highpower rifle (service rifle) competitions were not something I were interested in, I'd go with an AR-10 type rifle.
A flat-top with integral scope base.
It's much easier to scope an AR10 than most other semi auto military rifles in that caliber.

P.S. Are you committed to the .308 / 7.62 x 51mm round?
For a softer-shooting experience, I'd also consider necked-down versions of the .308 like the 7mm-08 and .260 and .243. All of them will have way more range and punch than the .223, with less muzzle rise and flatter trajectory at any practical hunting or shooting range than the .308.

I don't know exactly what my scoped M1A weighs, but it's probably pushing 12 lbs. with a mag in place and the cleaning tool and grease container in the stock compartment.
That's not too much for me to carry, and I'm no athlete. I've humped that rifle a lot of miles through the woods.

The weight is one reason this rifle's recoil isn't bad.

Shooting a .308 through a 6.5 lb rifle will feel a lot different!

You guys will hunt with a 10lb plus rifle? maybe I'm just a pansy. At 6'2" 300lbs i can't walk a few miles into the woods, then risk having to make a clean shot off hand with a 10-12lb rifle. If you are riding your atv up to a box stand- no worries.

You guys will hunt with a 10lb plus rifle? maybe I'm just a pansy. At 6'2" 300lbs i can't walk a few miles into the woods, then risk having to make a clean shot off hand with a 10-12lb rifle. If you are riding your atv up to a box stand- no worries.

My favorite hunting rifle is pretty lightweight, but I've hunted with plenty of my rifles that are in excess of 10lbs. I walk everywhere I hunt, and I'm usually toting a pack as well.

Back
Top Bottom