• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So talk me out of an AR-10

I've owned several AR10s and liked them a lot. However, when I got my M1a I fell in love and I don't know why. Their capabilities are basically identical and it's much easier to do mods and add optics to the AR10. Logic says go with the AR10 and I pride myself on being a logical person. But I love my M1a and will never give it up. It's now my primary .30 battle rifle and it's the one they would have to pry from my cold dead hands. It makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

I say, shoot them both before you decide.

I can't I love mine. Most accurate I own. It cost me 1800 in parts alone but it shows on the range. Now you can buy one a hell of a lot cheaper than that one but you need one. So many more options hunting wise. This is my friend and it cost a lot. It will shoot well under 1/2 moa and I put the best of everything in it. It shoots straight and true. It looks cool as well. This pic is without the optic but you can take away with what you will.

Attachments

• CAM00438.jpg
    CAM00438.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 18
I've owned several AR10s and liked them a lot. However, when I got my M1a I fell in love and I don't know why. Their capabilities are basically identical and it's much easier to do mods and add optics to the AR10. Logic says go with the AR10 and I pride myself on being a logical person. But I love my M1a and will never give it up. It's now my primary .30 battle rifle and it's the one they would have to pry from my cold dead hands. It makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

I say, shoot them both before you decide.

Couldn't have said it any better. My M1a is my favorite rifle to shoot. Ever.

I can't I love mine. Most accurate I own. It cost me 1800 in parts alone but it shows on the range. Now you can buy one a hell of a lot cheaper than that one but you need one. So many more options hunting wise. This is my friend and it cost a lot. It will shoot well under 1/2 moa and I put the best of everything in it. It shoots straight and true. It looks cool as well. This pic is without the optic but you can take away with what you will.

Who built it for you?

I love the look of the M1A but I have read that 1.5 MOA is all the gun has in it. For that kind of money I would expect at the very least sub MOA accuracy. Like I said they do have that WWII appeal. I would go for a 308 bolt gun with a kick ass optic and still come in at under the M1A. A CZ 550 would be a keeper.

I love the look of the M1A but I have read that 1.5 MOA is all the gun has in it. For that kind of money I would expect at the very least sub MOA accuracy. Like I said they do have that WWII appeal. I would go for a 308 bolt gun with a kick ass optic and still come in at under the M1A. A CZ 550 would be a keeper.

I shoot irons on mine and haven't mounted a scope yet. If I was looking for a bench rest target rifle I'd look at a bolt gun for sure.

The Sig 716 is only a 1.5 MOA gun as well. I owned one and sold for that reason. If irons is what you are looking to work with then go a good bolt gun like the CZ 550. Wood stock, floated barrel just a fine gun to look at and shoot. I plan on getting the 550 FS Manlicher stock 308. reminicient of the old swedish full stock guns. Love em. They will net you well under MOA and look good doing it. Shooting irons isn't easy and you need all the help you can get and starting with a real accurate rifle is a damn good start. I couldn't get a semi rifle that would shoot .05 MOA or better so I had to build one to get it. Bolt guns with a good heavy barrel is no problem. You can get those all day. I tried DPMS, Ruger 762, Sig 716 and had to kick em all to the curb because they couldn't cut the 1 MOA accuracy mark. After building my own and spending well over 500 for the barrel I got what I wanted. I hear Daniel Defense has a hammer forged barrel 7.62 gun but you can bet it will be 4 grand.

Back
Top Bottom