• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So talk me out of an AR-10

If you're going to run optics, get an AR10 or SCAR-17. If you wanna run irons, get an M1A.

M1A hands down favorite if you are an irons guy. I despise using a scope, but that's just me.
Saturday I had a sub moa group on the X ring (slung prone) @ 200 yds with handloads in one of mine. It's a joy to shoot, doesn't destroy my brass and deposits them in a neat pile.

I can't I love mine. Most accurate I own. It cost me 1800 in parts alone but it shows on the range. Now you can buy one a hell of a lot cheaper than that one but you need one. So many more options hunting wise. This is my friend and it cost a lot. It will shoot well under 1/2 moa and I put the best of everything in it. It shoots straight and true. It looks cool as well. This pic is without the optic but you can take away with what you will.
What rail is that? Reminds me of a suspension bridge. Is it light?

I havne't had my PWS to the range yet with the optics installed but look forward to developing a load for it. It's got a 16" barrel but it's got some good "bones" and should be pretty accurate. I expect sub MOA out of it but till I get it out and punch some paper and work on a load (who knows when that's going to happen!) it's just a nice piece of metal in the safe. Eventually it'll get something more like a 1-6x but for now and working on loads, this'll work.

Little fuzzy pic...

4CWjQtRa_jUFu8g0gRswBId_YhBwWXTnwWpldb3bwk2St7DfvgSdcpWYFJ3UxUY0gGsKxFkUBlJTnGPaYwMjT9EA3dKipY2PtFxuydB1BIzrlnqquCpW-TyO8iEhcYQ0FQlUHkGynBu4XyLwp2hxvd75E6BpEFcPUyRsqOPaQzZK8uOLkE5SW-ahEbbLc6qM4RrK1zdSTavBf-TBlcPRqDJRXSQeJqgjBhns-fACMkcPaHnqYbQa93g0k8EOxp7JxEIP2Zm6AUuoI1OVy1HG5Gt7vIy-4MxldLUrd2PE04pT39nfbQZJkB1RmRC4c6q3aTGhtEKPH-y2rhb67cNH-HFjyYy0aM39hlYDPD81_l6ZW9JsSsU5ZNT_OARXQXc0D1srMZR8vo0eedxcANTQQLaNrZ3tnRKgDdJ7oQjt52uC_kQFnGtkbr7_YmjcjS6-IV8zMRy21PniQteWUn8C-tR459XaJJE4RKMbFalJlZpgmzfr3-_pLsbyfgKTiAv-x-cKsU_DOL6SRieyH4dS10aefUPgxdIcP_tZOINENrbr3PyUQx1I9yaF1eEjLGEH6HLhdnwQdZb2kYiu4Q0w76U76pPeWoOp4Ifw2PJkNiHkZ559stcn=w1665-h1053-no

I love the look of the M1A but I have read that 1.5 MOA is all the gun has in it. For that kind of money I would expect at the very least sub MOA accuracy. Like I said they do have that WWII appeal. I would go for a 308 bolt gun with a kick ass optic and still come in at under the M1A. A CZ 550 would be a keeper.
Perhaps that level of accuracy is what to expect from a Standard M1a, but upgraded and/or modified versions will typically give you much better accuracy. The same applies to AR10s.

Just so you know, the WWII rifle you are thinking about is the M1. The M1a/M14 was developed after the war as an improvement and replacement for the M1.

The Sig 716 is only a 1.5 MOA gun as well. I owned one and sold for that reason. If irons is what you are looking to work with then go a good bolt gun like the CZ 550. Wood stock, floated barrel just a fine gun to look at and shoot. I plan on getting the 550 FS Manlicher stock 308. reminicient of the old swedish full stock guns. Love em. They will net you well under MOA and look good doing it. Shooting irons isn't easy and you need all the help you can get and starting with a real accurate rifle is a damn good start. I couldn't get a semi rifle that would shoot .05 MOA or better so I had to build one to get it. Bolt guns with a good heavy barrel is no problem. You can get those all day. I tried DPMS, Ruger 762, Sig 716 and had to kick em all to the curb because they couldn't cut the 1 MOA accuracy mark. After building my own and spending well over 500 for the barrel I got what I wanted. I hear Daniel Defense has a hammer forged barrel 7.62 gun but you can bet it will be 4 grand.
I own multiple precision bolt guns and I'm primarily a bolt gun guy, but a .30 cal battle rifle is simply a different animal meant for a different purpose. It's not a matter of either/or, it's both.

Went through several .308 bolt guns and though very accurate i decided for my purposes the AR10 was better served. I didnt wanna piece one together as i wanted some guaranteed accuracy. Went with the LMT MWS .308.

The LWRC REPR, KAC, or a JP Enterprises rifle would have been my other choices. That would be it though........

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/tyler-kee/gun-review-brownells-aero-precision-ar-10/

So I've been looking at Aero Precision for my build... and came across this article.

A couple of things strike me as odd:

- The accuracy in this review. Aero is Ballistic Advantage. I've got BA on my 5.56 guns and it rocks. Maybe this guy just sucks as a shooter
- The broken bolt catches. Is this a common thing with AR10's?

I'm not too worried about all his other gripes... I know what handguard I want and how it matches up with the uppers I'm looking at and I plan to go adjustable gas block, so not too concerned about his claims of over-gassing.

IMO the AR10's flaw is that it is heavy for an old man.

So if you have weak old shoulders like I do, then I recommend that you build yourself a precision AR15 upper in 6.8 SPC II before you get an AR10. Or 6.5 Grendel if you plan to shoot past 300 yards.

Back
Top Bottom