• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So talk me out of an AR-10

20rd of 308 with a 1-6 scope on it that will ding steel all day at 500yd. I mean, I cant think of anything that will strike fear into somebody more than that short of full auto 308.

I love the look of the M1A but I have read that 1.5 MOA is all the gun has in it. For that kind of money I would expect at the very least sub MOA accuracy. Like I said they do have that WWII appeal. I would go for a 308 bolt gun with a kick ass optic and still come in at under the M1A. A CZ 550 would be a keeper.

Come over to RBGC this Saturday and you'll see what old guys with irons on an M1A are capable of. It's going to be a great match.

You can't judge the accuracy of a brand by 1 guy that owned 1 of a certain brand rifle. Some rifles are more accurate than others, the same with shooters.

I've shot plenty of DPMS and SIG AR10-type rifles that were sub-MOA. I've had numerous students take both out to 1,000yds with no issues.

I've also shot more sub-MOA M14's and M1A's than I can count. Me, my brother, and a buddy of mine (all 3 of us are Marines) took my buddy's tuned up Springfield M1A (work done by Hook Boutin) and rang steel at 1,450yds using iron sights. We had to max out the elevation, put the tip of the front sight at the top of the rear aperture, and hold 12 o'clock on the steel. Once we figured out the hold, we were ringing it with regularity.

My 2 main semi-auto .308's will both do .5MOA, but they ain't standard; a JP Enterprises LRP-07 and a DRD Tactical M762 win PR barrel.

You can't judge the accuracy of a brand by 1 guy that owned 1 of a certain brand rifle. Some rifles are more accurate than others, the same with shooters.

Fair enough. I didn't put much weight behind the one guys experience. Just thought I'd ask.

What of broken bolt catches? Any one have issues with that? Is it a brand specific thing or a platform issue?

Well, Palmetto State had a killer deal ($219) on a complete blem lower, I pulled the trigger. Since I plan to shoot (and beat) the crap out of it, don't mind a ding or two in the anodizing.

Not sure how great their barreled upper is... but it'll be good enough to see how I like the platform. Can always swap it later.

Now to decide on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom