• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what do I do with this baby raccoon?

Just looked this up...

I found a baby raccoon in my yard, what should I do?
Raccoon babies often appear to be orphaned when in fact they are not. Raccoons are excellent mothers and take good care of their young. A baby raccoon’s best chance of survival is to be raised by its mother.

Many species of mammals including raccoons will leave their babies safely hidden while they are out searching for food. If the baby raccoon is not in imminent danger, it’s best to observe the baby for another 24 hours without disturbing it. Before “rescuing” a baby raccoon from your yard, call Native Animal Rescue for further information.

If you have disturbed a den or frightened an adult raccoon, you may see the adult run away from the den or her baby. DON’T PANIC! There is a very good chance that the mother will return at night and continue to care for her young. Again, if the baby raccoon is not in imminent danger, it’s best to observe the baby for another 24 hours without disturbing it. Before “rescuing” a baby raccoon from your yard, call Native Animal Rescue for further information.

They actually make pretty good pets...just don't give it a Zippo lighter as a toy. Years ago I had a friend who raised a coon from a baby. It's favorite toy was a Zippo lighter....it loved to flip the lid open and closed. One day it somehow caused the lighter to light....it scared it so bad that it dropped the lighter on the floor. Shag carpet will scorch and catch fire really quick...or, at least it would in 1957.

Just looked this up...

I found a baby raccoon in my yard, what should I do?
Raccoon babies often appear to be orphaned when in fact they are not. Raccoons are excellent mothers and take good care of their young. A baby raccoon’s best chance of survival is to be raised by its mother.

Many species of mammals including raccoons will leave their babies safely hidden while they are out searching for food. If the baby raccoon is not in imminent danger, it’s best to observe the baby for another 24 hours without disturbing it. Before “rescuing” a baby raccoon from your yard, call Native Animal Rescue for further information.

If you have disturbed a den or frightened an adult raccoon, you may see the adult run away from the den or her baby. DON’T PANIC! There is a very good chance that the mother will return at night and continue to care for her young. Again, if the baby raccoon is not in imminent danger, it’s best to observe the baby for another 24 hours without disturbing it. Before “rescuing” a baby raccoon from your yard, call Native Animal Rescue for further information.

I did plenty of reading and read that article too. I tried leaving him but she never showed up last night. I have coyotes Bobcats and owls and two little girls that keep me from just leaving hom forever

Having a hard time fighting the urge to ask to pick up the little trash panda from you. My Grandpa just passed this year. He had many odd-ball pets throughout the years but his favorite was Bandit. He was actually a very well-mannered pet believe it or not. I miss them both quite a bit.
90C3E9E2-3FB7-4607-A62E-F258C734FCAC.jpeg

Having a hard time fighting the urge to ask to pick up the little trash panda from you. My Grandpa just passed this year. He had many odd-ball pets throughout the years but his favorite was Bandit. He was actually a very well-mannered trash panda. I miss them both quite a bit.
View attachment 2651451
Maybe it's a sign that you should raise this one

Back
Top Bottom