• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who all rides motorcycles?????

Using the stock 18/43 gearing, and even assuming that you have removed the top speed limiter in 6th gear, the theoretical top speed is 204mph, and that is with no wind resistance. This assumes that you are actually able to hit redline in 6th, which most bikes can't do unless you do some significant engine work.

Even then, adding HP won't overcome the gearing limits, so you either have to raise the redline, or make your gearing taller, which then takes away from acceleration...
That sounds like 600 or 1K gearing. Stock gearing is 17-40 on the Busa and the bike will reach the redline in sixth. After 2000 (mines a 2000 with no limits) Suzuki limited it and all their stuff to 187mph to keep the govt from setting the limit. But most are not fearless enough. I have mine at 16-41 which seems to be a sweet spot, but am contemplating going back to 40 on the rear. These bikes like the torque and react well to higer ratio. Most guys go 16-45 or even 48 which makes it easy to be somewhat quicker at launch, without being able to slip the clutch properly for launch. But you lose performance, It is a rare talent which I seem to have, I just wish it was combined with a light weight body. LOL
Like I said these make peak HP and torque at 4000 and keep that up till it falls off somewhere around 10500-11000
Not like the smaller bikes that have to launch at 8-9k and have such a narrow band. Like someone, said different animals.

Oh, I know that a Busa will wheelie, I am just saying that when they designed the bike, they knew what their target was... 1/4 mile and high speed king. So when you design a bike for that purpose, you design it in a way that maximizes high speed stability and straight line thrust. And as you said, a wheelie slows down acceleration...

When you design a bike to dominate at a race track, and you want it to be nimble, corner like it is on rails and transition left to right with the agility of a fruit fly... there is a trade off. Especially when you pack almost as much power as the Hayabusa, into that short, light, flickable package... That trade off is that it wants to wheelie and flick you off in the first couple gears if you are not careful...

I wasn't talking about stand up riding wheelies over 100mph... I was just talking about you are slamming through the first few gears and somewhere in the 110mph range when you slam into 3rd hard on the gas, many literbikes will lift up the front... Typically not enough to loop it, but at those speeds, when you are not expecting it, it can surprise you...
Like I said I think we were talking about different "wheelie". When I think of 120mph power wheelie I am picturing doing 120 and "powering" into a wheel stand.

17/40 still has you gearing limited to 204hp at 11,000rpm, assuming that you can truly hit that by overcoming air resistance. Still doesn't get you to 230mph, that was my point. You can turbo it and add NOS, but unless you gear it up, 230mph simply isn't gonna happen.

17/40 is almost identical to 18/43, it changes the top speed by less than 1mph.
2017-04-02 12_01_56-Gearing Commander_ Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator.png

With your 16/41, you lowered your top speed to 188mph, regardless of the absence of a speed limiter or how much HP you have. 11,k RPM only gets you to 188mph.

2017-04-02 12_05_16-Gearing Commander_ Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator.png

You get peak torque at 4,000rpm, but peak HP doesn't come till closer to redline.

No 6th gear red line would be somewhere around 230. Mines a 2000 the last of the factory unlimited Not to mention I'm -1 and +1 so the RPMs will be higer.
You shift at 10500 it won't lift into a wheelie. You are shifting too early. My bike probably doesn't see 8k except when I start in first. Might drop to 7500 or so but I think it's probably 8k and above after launch. Hard ot tell really, too much going on in 9.5 seconds.

There is where the confusion is. You are keeping your bike at the top of your torque curve close to redline which limits your torque and enables you to keep your front tire down.

On a mountain road if I'm running close to redline I am WAY over the speedlimit and going to hit a tree. My rpm stays down at the bottom of the torque curve where if I really hit it the front end is coming up.

OK so I was a bit off its like 312 kphs
So I was off by a few MPH. My point was I was in 4th near redline, which is consistent with MPH crossing the traps. NWS thought it should be obtained in 3rd gear.

Factory (ish since no one is completely honest) 1999-2000 Busas have clocked well over 200 mph although the top speed was advertised at 194.

There is where the confusion is. You are keeping your bike at the top of your torque curve close to redline which limits your torque and enables you to keep your front tire down.

On a mountain road if I'm running close to redline I am WAY over the speedlimit and going to hit a tree. My rpm stays down at the bottom of the torque curve where if I really hit it the front end is coming up.
I can see that, different worlds really. I often tell novices that in drag racing you have to forget most of what you would do on the street.

OK so I was a bit off its like 312 kphs
So I was off by a few MPH. My point was I was in 4th near redline, which is consistent with MPH crossing the traps. NWS thought it should be obtained in 3rd gear.

Factory (ish since no one is completely honest) 1999-2000 Busas have clocked well over 200 mph although the top speed was advertised at 194.

Everything I am seeing says that for the unrestricted but otherwise stock busa to crack 200, they need a slight regearing or a slightly taller 190/55 tire.

Most top out in stock form in the low to mid 190's...

300 miles yesterday and 350 today. I'm beat but it was a great scooter weekend.

Pretty much done til October though. Already too damn hot.

Back
Top Bottom