• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who all rides motorcycles?????

I just couldn't treat one of these bikes this way. I have had my street bikes off road some just to keep my riding skills up, but no serious rough treatment and no full dressers
My first full dresser was a GL1100. Makes me want to slap those guys. :tsk:

I had a Honda Shadow I rode back and forth to work, from Jasper to Alpharetta. The trip was all 45mph highway or side roads, so I felt fairly safe, but I still don't like how a good number of drivers are just idiots with their aggressive driving and tailgating. I have a dirt bike and if I did buy a road bike, it's most likely going to be a dual sport and wherever I take it, I try my best to stay off freeways and major highways. They are too fun not to have one, but I think you should do a reasonable amount of safety measures, all while enjoying the freedom and thrill of two wheels.

Yep, it's fun to get on one every once in a while. But you really have to watch out for everyone else....
Just like everything else in life that's fun, riding a bike is a risk, but there are many ways to reduce that risk for yourself vs. a statistical average rider.

* Get proper training. MSF or similar and don't stop practicing after getting your license.
* Wear gear on every ride. Quality full face helmet, boots, armored jacket, gloves, etc.
* Don't ride like an idiot on public roads. 20% faster than traffic, not 50%+.
* Assume drivers won't see you. Don't stop directly behind another car at intersections or in traffic, pay extra attention approaching intersections, don't ride in cars' blind zones, etc.
* Don't ride after drinking, even if it's 1-2 beers.

I ride to work every day it's above 40F in the morning and not supposed to rain much, unless my afterwork errands require more more cargo capacity than I can manage with my bikes.

Back
Top Bottom