• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So who all rides motorcycles?????

He's starting on a VStar 650 (He could use something bigger but I want him to be able to man handle his first bike as he learns the ropes.). When I finally found his bike (after months of looking for both of us), I grabbed the first thing I could find that had a clean title and was in good shape (Road Star 1700 Silverado). I wanted EFI, water cooled and shaft drive. So of course I got none of that. I want an F6B. I'll buy one if I can find one and ditch the Road Star or he can ride it if he's ready by then. Not sure Momma will ever ride again (her last bike was a VStar 1100).
Used bike market is brutal here and new bikes are almost non existent. Last bike was a Valkyrie Interstate which I wish I still had (sort of). I was actually looking for a CTX 1300 for me and a 700 for him but finding a MANUAL transmission one with the deluxe trim (ABS,bluetooth etc) apparently is unobtanium. That's as close as I'll ever come to anything "sport". I tried an FJR and just don't care for riding on my wrists. I ride to relax, full stop. And I like to cover a lot of miles. I've been out of the market for a long time and was shocked at how it's changed (at was is offered and more importantly what is not offered). I had no clue that Yamaha doesn't even make cruisers anymore (save the 250) and Honda doesn't make a sport tourer. Bizarre (to me).

Vstar 650 is a good starter bike. Low center of gravity, not intimidating power, but can still do interstate speeds... With that, you will likely be able to sell it for what you paid for it, they tend to do that...

You mention the F6B... I got an email from a consultant a few years ago, wanting to pay me $250 for a hour of my time on a Saturday to talk to a marketing and design group with Honda...
They had cruiser guys there, but they also wanted sportbike and track riders, so I was picked... They asked a lot of questions and wanted feedback on what turned out to be the F6B.

It's not my style(yet), but I actually really liked the design. Loved the tech, and it handles far better than a bike that size should.

My biggest hangup is that it's $25k and you can't get it with a regular transmission? I think they only offer that DCT auto thingie...

Yeah, the sportbikes aren't as comfy. At 51 years old, I feel it a bit these days, but I can still ride all day on them... The ZX14R I have, is like a couch, and with bar risers it is comfortable to me.

The only bike I currently have that might appeal to you, would be my Triumph Speed Twin 1200. A proper British retro bike, with modern tech under the hood.

Attachments

• ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 7
The brands that have picked up the pace for sport tourers are Suzuki of all people, and the Euro brands. Kawi still has the Ninja 1000, and while it has the Ninja label and is fast, it is a really good touring bike.

The market has shifted towards these do everything Adventure bikes.

I will never take it offroad, dont feel like tossing that much money down a muddy hill... but there are some fantastic sporty touring bikes from KTM, Ducati, BMW, Triumph.

I think one of the best values for a sport tourer, that is fun to ride, looks great and doesn't break the bank, is the BMW F900XR. Sharp looks, high tech, a modest 105hp... Its a really solid choice...

Another one is the Yamaha Tracer 9GT

And the Beemer has a 3 year warranty with roadside assistance. Its a lot of bike for the money, and while it looks like a sportbike, the ergos are bolt upright, with wide bars. It's meant for long hours in the saddle, but the fairing keeps the wind from beating you up...

I would consider one for myself if I was in the market for that style of bike. It's actually cheaper than the Yamaha, believe it or not.

Vstar 650 is a good starter bike. Low center of gravity, not intimidating power, but can still do interstate speeds... With that, you will likely be able to sell it for what you paid for it, they tend to do that...

You mention the F6B... I got an email from a consultant a few years ago, wanting to pay me $250 for a hour of my time on a Saturday to talk to a marketing and design group with Honda...
They had cruiser guys there, but they also wanted sportbike and track riders, so I was picked... They asked a lot of questions and wanted feedback on what turned out to be the F6B.

It's not my style(yet), but I actually really liked the design. Loved the tech, and it handles far better than a bike that size should.

My biggest hangup is that it's $25k and you can't get it with a regular transmission? I think they only offer that DCT auto thingie...

Yeah, the sportbikes aren't as comfy. At 51 years old, I feel it a bit these days, but I can still ride all day on them... The ZX14R I have, is like a couch, and with bar risers it is comfortable to me.

The only bike I currently have that might appeal to you, would be my Triumph Speed Twin 1200. A proper British retro bike, with modern tech under the hood.
The Vstar has a Saddleman seat which makes it even lower which he does NOT need (lanky 5'10") but again, doesn't hurt with the man handling. The F6Bs did come with a 5 speed (not sure about the new trunkless wing). I'm not spending $25k on a bike at this point. When it was a passion, I bought new. It's a pass time at this point and content to find one of the countless under used bikes. This is about $2k high, otherwise I'd snag it. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Honda®-Gold+Wing+F6B+Deluxe-5026222047
I've never been a sport bike guy. At one point I wanted a Rocket III. Svelt isn't high on my priority list.

The Vstar has a Saddleman seat which makes it even lower which he does NOT need (lanky 5'10") but again, doesn't hurt with the man handling. The F6Bs did come with a 5 speed (not sure about the new trunkless wing). I'm not spending $25k on a bike at this point. When it was a passion, I bought new. It's a pass time at this point and content to find one of the countless under used bikes. This is about $2k high, otherwise I'd snag it. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Honda®-Gold+Wing+F6B+Deluxe-5026222047
I've never been a sport bike guy. At one point I wanted a Rocket III. Svelt isn't high on my priority list.
The new Rockets are interesting bikes. I was recently invited up to help break in the 2023 Triumph demo and promotional bike fleet. My buddy who is the top Triumph tech in the US and handles the demo fleet, does stunt riding when they want a Triumph in a movie or tv show, etc... called me one day while he was doing a motor rebuild on my Speed Twin...

He is like, I just got 26 new bikes delivered in crates and I need people to come up, and ride the hell out of them and break them in. Don't be gentle, do a faster, firm break in... Do you have people who could come up?

I was like, Brian, I got this... haha

Started on the new Tiger 1200 Pro, and halfway through I switched to the new Rocket 3R. Had to do voiceover as my camera mic died on me...

Back
Top Bottom