• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So who all rides motorcycles?????

You know I never would own a Ducati just because the Desmo service cost so much, but then again if I was gonna do it the bike doesn’t fit my uses anyways. If I ever quit riding Harley’s or couldn’t get a goldwing I’d have to get like a BMW GS or a Honda NC750. I’d like to try an adventure touring bike.

To be honest the Desmo thing is a bit overrated. 20 years ago when you had to do the valves every 4k miles, that was one thing. Then it went to 7500, then 15k and 18k... Now, the new Multistrada V4 doesn't get its first valve check till like 37,000 miles! They are willing to slap a 2 year warranty on it as well.

So while the service costs more, you only have to do it half as much. Hell, some sport bikes are every 12k miles, so that Ducati is triple the length between services... Monsters I think are 18k miles...

So it's really not that bad. Panigales cost a lot because they don't have a frame. So in order to do the valve job, the bike has to get loaded into a jig because when you remove the structural airbox to get to the valve covers, the bike literally falls into two halves... Crazy!

To comment on the tire thing. I had a Michelin rear tire that had 12k miles and still wasn’t smoked but I replaced it due to age.

Depends on the type of tire and how you ride really. If you want great grip, you give up mileage... If you want mileage you give up grip.

Now today, tires have gotten a lot better and with duel and even triple compounds, they strike a really nice balance between grip and longevity...

To be honest the Desmo thing is a bit overrated. 20 years ago when you had to do the valves every 4k miles, that was one thing. Then it went to 7500, then 15k and 18k... Now, the new Multistrada V4 doesn't get its first valve check till like 37,000 miles! They are willing to slap a 2 year warranty on it as well.

So while the service costs more, you only have to do it half as much. Hell, some sport bikes are every 12k miles, so that Ducati is triple the length between services... Monsters I think are 18k miles...

So it's really not that bad. Panigales cost a lot because they don't have a frame. So in order to do the valve job, the bike has to get loaded into a jig because when you remove the structural airbox to get to the valve covers, the bike literally falls into two halves... Crazy!
Currently looking at a 2019 Diavel. The tuneups are not near as bad as I thought. They just feel right to me, riding a semi hopped up WideGlide more than anything right now. Hardly any transition.

Currently looking at a 2019 Diavel. The tuneups are not near as bad as I thought. They just feel right to me, riding a semi hopped up WideGlide more than anything right now. Hardly any transition.

The Diavel is excellent! Wife had the first gen model. It handles really well for what it is and goes like stink. It looks like a cruiser and the ergo's are a bit cruiserish, but you can chuck it into a turn and it will do it.

They worked with Pirelli to design that 240 series tire. It has the wide look, but the profile is the same as the 190/55 they sell. So it actually turns in and corners... Every once in awhile I see a guy out on track with one.

That’s a solid point. At least the intervals have gotten way more reasonable. If I didn’t have to check it for 37,000 miles I may consider one.

Depends on the type of tire and how you ride really. If you want great grip, you give up mileage... If you want mileage you give up grip.

Now today, tires have gotten a lot better and with duel and even triple compounds, they strike a really nice balance between grip and longevity...
Those Michelin scorcher tires aren’t made anymore I think. Which is a shame cause I really did put a lot of highway miles on them and they held up. I took that Harley 8 miles down a Forest service road and back and no little puncture marks it was good.

EXACTLY!!

Im coming from a BMW r1200GS. The maintenance intervals on the Ducati are better and all things considered it's a wash. I love torque of the big 1260 motor and it flat rips in the twisties yet is VERY capable and comfortable on the highway. With the bags on it has plenty of room as well to haul some gear.

The thing is.... this bikes stirs my soul. It sounds right, it feels right, and it moves in a way that makes me WANT to ride it as often as possible..

431EA368-0F3F-4BB0-A678-6B84108AD8FA.JPG

EXACTLY!!

Im coming from a BMW r1200GS. The maintenance intervals on the Ducati are better and all things considered it's a wash. I love torque of the big 1260 motor and it flat rips in the twisties yet is VERY capable and comfortable on the highway. With the bags on it has plenty of room as well to haul some gear.

The thing is.... this bikes stirs my soul. It sounds right, it feels right, and it moves in a way that makes me WANT to ride it as often as possible..

View attachment 5728290

Trust me, I get it. Between the wife and I, there have been 13 Ducati's in our garage over the past dozen years. I will ride anything, but if I had to pick one brand, it's always been Ducati.

So, everyone has their passion in life. Mine is riding. Even more than guns and shooting, it's always been about riding. Here is what I have owned over the years, not including the 13 bikes my wife has owned, these are just mine, in order... Figured it was easier to post a link and any bike nerds that care could click the link rather than have to scroll past the pics for 8 min... haha

Back
Top Bottom