• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solvent traps

I'm pretty sure the 1970's Colt AR-15's allowed the "drop in auto sear" to just -- well, how do I put this-- DROP IN.

Later Colt started making AR receivers with solid metal where that cavity used to be. They also changed some other aspects of their lowers, to make it harder to use M16 replacement fire control parts.

Some other manufacturers of AR pattern lowers didn't, and I seem to recall such receivers being pretty popular years ago, even though they were post-1986 and certainly not legal to use as a basis for an M16 conversion.

The thing is, if a "DIAS" that was made in the 1970s or prior to a certain date in 1981 are legal to own, unregistered, but illegal to USE as a conversion part... are lighting links treated the same? Why not?

Richard Simmons never announced that he's gay.
And most people who buy "solvent trap" muzzle adapters to put a car oil filter on the end of their guns do not announce that they want an unregistered, untaxed, silencer.

Does the lack of a formal announcement mean that the government can't prove what your intention was?
Did you ever watch a video of an oil filter silencer being used? The feds can examine your computer and/or your ISP's records to show what YouTube videos you clicked on.
They can prove that you read a thread on the internet where people were discussing how to make a suppressors out of oil filters.
They can interview your friends and family. Did you ever SAY that it would be cool to have a silencer for you gun?

Any of that, combined with evidence that you don't actually use a such a contraption for solvent mitigation during gun cleaning at home, would probably be enough to convict you. Even if the oil filters they find you in possession of have never been punctured-- no holes drilled through or shot through the ends.
LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE,YOU KNOW THE REST

I'm pretty sure the 1970's Colt AR-15's allowed the "drop in auto sear" to just -- well, how do I put this-- DROP IN.

Later Colt started making AR receivers with solid metal where that cavity used to be. They also changed some other aspects of their lowers, to make it harder to use M16 replacement fire control parts.

Some other manufacturers of AR pattern lowers didn't, and I seem to recall such receivers being pretty popular years ago, even though they were post-1986 and certainly not legal to use as a basis for an M16 conversion.

The thing is, if a "DIAS" that was made in the 1970s or prior to a certain date in 1981 are legal to own, unregistered, but illegal to USE as a conversion part... are lighting links treated the same? Why not?
i believe that any lower that allowed full auto needed to be registered..
so those colt lowers are considered full auto machine gun lowers. thats why you cant mill out a lower, if it can take it, it is it...
the lighting link allows use with no mods. so you could put it in your pocket or hide it in the wall. no one would be the wiser if you used it. a lower converted show intent.

i believe that any lower that allowed full auto needed to be registered..
so those colt lowers are considered full auto machine gun lowers. thats why you cant mill out a lower, if it can take it, it is it...
the lighting link allows use with no mods. so you could put it in your pocket or hide it in the wall. no one would be the wiser if you used it. a lower converted show intent.

Links and auto sears are registered machine guns and when legally possessed, they can be dropped into any firearm. The possession of one without a stamp is trouble. Yes you could hide it but it would take one person to rat you out.

Links and auto sears are registered machine guns and when legally possessed, they can be dropped into any firearm. The possession of one without a stamp is trouble. Yes you could hide it but it would take one person to rat you out.
i dont think auto sears count. you can buy them. but what i was saying, is a lower that accepts an auto sear (third hole and milled out shelf) must be pre 86 and registered. a link that fits any lower must be registered.
if you have a auto sear and no lower that it fits, you are legal. you can buy the parts as spares for you future purchase. the link can be added to any gun, and shows intent buy just owning an unregistered one.

Back to "solvent traps" (unregistered do-it-yourself silencer kits, 80+ % complete):

http://silencernews.com/solvent-trap-seller-shut-down-by-atf/

ATF is shutting down the manufacturers and may soon be looking for billing records and customer lists.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/08/...sors-especially-in-relation-to-solvent-traps/

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2015/04/solvent-traps-and-gun-trusts-making-a-suppressor.html
Whew glad I didn't go that route.

Back
Top Bottom