• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solving water hammer bumping pipes.

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
For the past few weeks our pipes are bumping. I have turned off the water at the road and drained all the pipes. I have tried this a few times. The last time the pipes were silent for two days and suddenly last night they started knocking and have been knocking almost constantly. Anyone have ideas

For the past few weeks our pipes are bumping. I have turned off the water at the road and drained all the pipes. I have tried this a few times. The last time the pipes were silent for two days and suddenly last night they started knocking and have been knocking almost constantly. Anyone have ideas
Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) has gone bad. You can try and adjust it. Most likely it will fix it for a day or so and go back to banging. PRV's life span is ~10 years depending on the incoming water it has to adjust too.

we had this a few months back. get a plumber to come out and put in the arrest chambers that the builder should have installed
I will be having one come out.

Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) has gone bad. You can try and adjust it. Most likely it will fix it for a day or so and go back to banging. PRV's life span is ~10 years depending on the incoming water it has to adjust too.
Where is the PRV normally installed?

^^^^^This^^^^^ easy do it yourself project. I have replaced mine twice in the 21 years I have owned my present house. Probably will cost you about $100-$150 if you do the job. About $750 if you call a plumber.

15586503156331908773260.jpg

It should like similar to this. A internet search and YouTube should get you going.
15586503156331908773260.jpg

Back
Top Bottom