• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some help getting started reloading

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
I tried reading the stickies, but everything came off as chinese to me.

So I want to start off just loading one round at a time, and digitally weighting my powder for more precision loads and subsonic loads.

Is there a good kit to buy that has stuff that you guys think is reliable and easy to use?

Will by ultra-sonic clean my cases alright or should I get a tumbler?

I know I'll need a press and the dies, but I'm lost on what I use to prime the brass and what tools I need(or if I need) tools to maintain the brass(such as chamfering tool).

I plan to reload mostly 308, 44 magnum/spl., some 45 and some 9mm

For what it's worth, I've used a RCBS Uniflow powder measure for years. Depending on the type of powder, it's easily accurate to within 1/10th grain all day long. Stick powders are a little harder to meter because the longer sticks get cut when the powder measure closes. Ball powder meters very, very well. But I understand wanting to go digital and see the weight for each charge. Oh- and a 1/10th of a grain makes almost no difference on a 40+ grain .308 charge. And you can trickle the last 1/2 grain into a scale if you want to throw one charge at a time without going to the expense of the digital powder measure/scale combo.

You will need to be able to trim your .308 brass because it's going to stretch as you shoot it. Brass that's too long can pinch the projectile into the barrel with horrible, sometimes explosive results. Pistol rounds, I've never had to trim any. I'll caveat that by saying I don't do anything in .44. 9mm and .45ACP I know do not stretch enough to require trimming.

Tumblers work fine, but they are noisy compared to the more expensive options. I have no complaints (other than the noise) with my old Lyman- I think it's a Turbo something or other... 4000 maybe?

I don't want this response to come across short or condescending, but the reason the stickies are coming across as "chinese" is because you don't have enough basic knowledge of the reloading process or the terminology. For your own safety and enjoyment of the hobby there are no shortcuts to learning about reloading. IMO you need at least two good reloading manuals before you consider buying any equipment. Two of the best are published by Lyman and Lee. Read them until you have a good understanding of the reloading process and then the stickies will make a lot more sense. And this forum is a good place to ask questions about specific problems you will encounter. Also, it would be prudent to start with one caliber and learn it well before buying the dies and equipment needed for four calibers. The .44 would be my choice since it is involves a straight wall case and probably be the easiest to begin with. Good luck with your endeavor and I hope this helps.

OKay a called a member and will be seeing his set up next week.

I think the digital meter'ing each load may be too extreme, but well see.

I think after talking with him I had a good idea, but him showing me is going to be a big help.

I don't want this response to come across short or condescending, but the reason the stickies are coming across as "chinese" is because you don't have enough basic knowledge of the reloading process or the terminology.

I think you're exactly right.

- - - Updated - - -

Fark buying a manual, this is the 21st century, find that **** online

I need your number again BTW. I've got someone ready to teach me next weekend, but I appreciate the offer. I need to come see you for all the kydex projects I have in mind.

Back
Top Bottom