• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some help getting started reloading

I see you have discovered the internet

LOL full of great info and easy to check find all the powder manufacturers data on line as well

more info than the manuals

I've reloaded over 10k rounds, I don't have a single manual......It's all on the net.

Everyone says get two books, and cross check each one for loads.....Just look up two loads on the intarwebs.

I've reloaded over 10k rounds, I don't have a single manual......It's all on the net.

Everyone says get two books, and cross check each one for loads.....Just look up two loads on the intarwebs.

Not disagreeing I use the net to have the manuals I got at first that everyone said you need just don't use them as much as the net and powder manufacturers sites

Last edited:
Not disagreeing I use the net too have the manuals I got at first that everyone said you need just don't use them as mush as the net and powder manufacturers site

Exactly, and I'm cheap, no need to spend money on stuff I'm not going to use anyhow. I've got a 400 dollar laptop out here in the reloading room.

As much as I use the web, I ain't foolish enough to believe it's all you need.

Bragging about not owning/using/reading loading manuals, well ok. There's lot's to be learned in those manuals.

I've been loading for more than 25 years, I still find interesting information in those manuals some have such disdain for.

I'll address one of your questions. I sonic clean my brass first, dry it, then tumble it. I've had a sonic cleaner for several years now and the on-off button covers are worn off, that's how much I use it. Good luck

Don't get too caught up in the shiny brass. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not that high on my list. An inexpensive (house brand) tumbler does fine for me.

The most down to earth manuals I have are Lee's Modern Reloading and an old Lyman manual.

As for kits, I'm not sold on any one brand for everything, but the Lee kits are great values.

Their scales are too lightweight to suit me, but they're as accurate as ones that sell for 10 times their price. Just make sure they're on a steady bench and as with any scale away from the effects of fans.

For priming I use the Lee hand primer. As posted above, I can prep and prime a bunch of brass in one sitting then come back another day and load a pile quickly.

It ain't a race, so take your time. Like most things, your output will increase with practice.

Reading and understanding the "why's" are every bit as important and interesting as seeing the "how's" for me.

It's great that you have a mentor. Just remember to keep an open mind. There are perfectly safe methods that work for some that just ain't for me. I've learned new ways of doing things from manuals published in the 60's.

I don't think I'll ever have too many manuals. I buy just about any I find on sale.

Back
Top Bottom