• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some Pics of My "New" Mosin 91/30

itsme_timd

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
0   0
Reaction score
This is my first Mosin, picked it up last Thursday for $120, it's a 1943 Izhevsk Arsenal gun. I'm still searching for other info on it to ID it in a bit more detail.

Me and the Mosin spent most of Saturday afternoon together, I watched endless YouTube videos then disassembled it, gave it a bath in hot water and simple green, cleaned up the stock real good and put a bit of wood preserver on it. It's got some scrapes and bruises but it's not in bad shape and I'd rather try to preserve it the way it is than refinish it. I think the scars give it character that is appropriate for a 69 year old Soviet rifle.

If anyone can tell me anything more about this rifle based on the pics please feel free. I'm going to try and get out to the range this weekend and try it out.

Mosin - Full Shot with Accessories.jpg

Mosin Rear Site 2.jpg

Mosin Bolt 2.jpg

Mosin Bolt Receiver and Markings 2.jpg

Mosin Butt Plate.jpg

Mosin Front Site 2.jpg

Mosin Front Site.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Tim. It looks great. That didn't take you long at all. My dining room table was covered in Mosin parts for 2 weeks when I got mine. I'm glad that it went to someone that can appreciate it.

The markings actually show that it is from the Izhevsk (Izzy) arsenal. (The triangle with the arrow inside. The Tula marking is a star with an arrow inside.) check out www.7.62x54r.net. There is some great info on that site with plenty of pictures as well. It was a big help to me.

If you are going to shoot at an indoor range make sure they will let you shoot on the weekend. I tried at Big Woods Goods and they wouldn't let me shoot on the weekend because it get so crowded and this rifle goes "Boom" really loud. They guys at Hi-Caliber said that I could shoot it anytime. (you can't use rounds that contain any steel in the projectile at either range)

Enjoy!

Hey Tim. It looks great. That didn't take you long at all. My dining room table was covered in Mosin parts for 2 weeks when I got mine. I'm glad that it went to someone that can appreciate it.

The markings actually show that it is from the Izhevsk (Izzy) arsenal. (The triangle with the arrow inside. The Tula marking is a star with an arrow inside.) check out www.7.62x54r.net. There is some great info on that site with plenty of pictures as well. It was a big help to me.

If you are going to shoot at an indoor range make sure they will let you shoot on the weekend. I tried at Big Woods Goods and they wouldn't let me shoot on the weekend because it get so crowded and this rifle goes "Boom" really loud. They guys at Hi-Caliber said that I could shoot it anytime. (you can't use rounds that contain any steel in the projectile at either range)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I got most of my "knowledge" of the gun off websites and looking again I see I read a lot of the info and diagrams wrong. If I can find some non-steel ammo I wouldn't mind trying it out at BWG or Hi Caliber first, if not I may head up to Chestnut Mountain.

Part of the fun is doing the research on these things.

I got some no steel ammo at Cherokee Gun and Pawn. Not cheap though. Also, they do have a padded zippered case there for $10. Get the 52" long one. Better call first to make sure they have one if you are interested. The gun will barely fit in there but for $10 it's hard to go wrong.

Let me know if you want to meet up at BWG and do some double Mosin shooting.

Tim

Part of the fun is doing the research on these things.

I got some no steel ammo at Cherokee Gun and Pawn. Not cheap though. Also, they do have a padded zippered case there for $10. Get the 52" long one. Better call first to make sure they have one if you are interested. The gun will barely fit in there but for $10 it's hard to go wrong.

Let me know if you want to meet up at BWG and do some double Mosin shooting.

Tim

Definitely sounds like a plan. Are you available during weekdays? If BWG won't allow on the weekend I might go during the week some time.

Back
Top Bottom