• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone School Me On AK's...

About two years ago, I was exactly where you are. I asked a lot of questions on the ODT and did a lot of research. If you use the search option you will see a lot of recommendations and opinions in previous threads. Some great ODT'ers gave me great advice. After a good long while of reading I bought a Romanian SAR-1, it was reliable, fun, tight and reasonably accurate. I then shot a Saiga ( Russian made) fully converted AK and there was no comparison to me. The Saiga seemed much more solid and tight, every mag I could find fits great ( no wobble). For me, the Saiga is worth the extra dollars.

There are a lot of bad reviews about PSA AK's, but I have no real experience.

WASR's get a lot of praise here on ODT and they seem to be the best budget AKs available.

Do your research, watch a lot of YouTube videos. Understand how to ID canted sights, check for smooth functioning of the action. Realize these guns are not refined AR's and typically are not as accurate.

Saying all that, I do recommend you scratch the AK itch, they are fun, the ammo is cheap and easy to find.

The Ak is my bread n butter. WASR are good , owned several.. I do think it's funny that there was a time that they were so looked down on you'd never get your money back on one unless you got a screaming deal ; But honestly that wasn't just the WASR but all century imports . At that time they had very poor quality control . It's funny how times have changed, but I digress..
It really depends, the original AK was milled, and there are some who believe that is what's best..But not me. They're a good bit heavier than what I'm used to in an "Ak". I say Ak" because most of what you see today is the AKM pattern. Not as sturdy , but still a tank.

The true Russians have been the best in terms of accuracy and build quality; with Vepr as my favorite and Saiga in second.
The Arsenal line is very well made ,but overpriced
I tend to like Romanian makes as my best bang for the buck AKM
After them I would say Bulgarian and Hungarian in that order.
In my personal experience I would stay away from Albanian

The Ak is my bread n butter. WASR are good , owned several.. I do think it's funny that there was a time that they were so looked down on you'd never get your money back on one unless you got a screaming deal ; But honestly that wasn't just the WASR but all century imports . At that time they had very poor quality control . It's funny how times have changed, but I digress..
It really depends, the original AK was milled, and there are some who believe that is what's best..But not me. They're a good bit heavier than what I'm used to in an "Ak". I say Ak" because most of what you see today is the AKM pattern. Not as sturdy , but still a tank.

The true Russians have been the best in terms of accuracy and build quality; with Vepr as my favorite and Saiga in second.

I agree with pretty much all of this. For an AK I prefer a stamped receiver. Romanians (WASR) are great rifles for the money.
Vepr's and Saiga's are very nice, but will cost a good bit more and are harder to find. If you do find a Saiga make certain it is converted.
I would stay away from American. I want America to make the best AK ever, but they're not there yet.

IMG_0804.PNG

So what is the difference in a $600 WASR and the $1075 WASR like seen here? Same with the Molot VEPR's. You can search them and find a $750 version in like grabagun.com or I've seen some on here for over $1400. That are "all original". So what's the difference in the average priced ones and the $1400 ones?

View attachment 1104079
So what is the difference in a $600 WASR and the $1075 WASR like seen here? Same with the Molot VEPR's. You can search them and find a $750 version in like grabagun.com or I've seen some on here for over $1400. That are "all original". So what's the difference in the average priced ones and the $1400 ones?

The difference is one guy is asking a pretty normal price and the other is hoping someone is dumb enough to over pay by almost double...And that's all there is to it. You could probably score two WASR's for that price if you are patient enough.

Back
Top Bottom