• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

stay away from dickey pit bbq

I used to work over there and tried that same Dickey's once before. Your assessment is correct: not very good and way overpriced. They have multiple locations too which kind of boggles my mind.

The Bar-B-Q Shack in Toccoa/Eastanollee is the place to get good BBQ. I spent a few days working up in Toccoa a couple years ago and a coworker took me there and the food is amazing. It is the pile of firewood, hole in the wall, sweat of the brow kind of BBQ joint and the food is cheap. Only opened Thursday-Saturday. I think the rib plate is under $8 and comes with a pile of ribs and all you can eat coleslaw, brunswick stew, and white bread. We drive the 60 miles up there every so often just to eat up there.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/149/931283/restaurant/Georgia/Toccoa/Bar-B-Q-Shack-Eastanollee

its a fairly major chain, much like sonny's or shanes's. and my guess is their faux-BQ is cooked in an oven, flashed on a grill just long enough for the taste, and re-heated in the microwave, much like sonny's and shanes. notice I said cooked, not smoked, and I damn sure didn't say BBQed.

my brother worked at shanes for a little more than year. finally got him to come over to my house for some butts I smoked. when he was watching me pull them, he saw the smoke ring and asked "whats that pink part? is it raw there?" after I explained to him what it was and it being a sign of real BBQ, he replied "nothing at shanes has that." need I say more?

I myself wont even attempt to eat at a bbq joint that has more locations than I can count on one hand. and I never even stop at one I cant smell smoke. if you cant smell smoke, its a dead give away its not worth it.

ive found very few places that I even like. heres a few:

johnny's bbq- gainsville, ga . good meat, moist with medium amount of smoke. sauces are ok at best though. I usally mix the reg and hot when ever I stop by there. sides are decent. Brunswick stew was so-so.

north GA BBQ-Helen, GA. pretty good meat, moist with a light smoke, im guessing due to volume of sales and lack of time. stew is great. didn't try any sides. sauces were decent at best.

fresh air bbq- bogart GA. dry, mealy meat that looked like it was run through a food processor, couldn't even taste any smoke at all. stew was bad. after tasting the stew and one bite of the meat, I threw it all in the garbage. cant comment on the sides or sauce.

john's bbq- winder. run. wrong cut of meat for bbq left me paying for sandpaper dry sliced pork. sides reminded me of hospital food. sauce was a joke. no stew. by far the worst ive ever had any where, even beating shanes and sonny's.

ive tried smoking po'boys here in winder as well. meat was moist and had a heavy smoke. seemed to be a mix of oak and hickory. decent bark on it. liked everything about the meat. every thing else about the place was bad, real bad. sides suck, stew was veggie soup with bbq sauce and meat in it, and the sauces are horrible. a very bad, un-balanced blend of ketchup, vinegar and black pepper.

if you ever find yourself in Harlan,KY, hog heaven BBQ was what a BBQ joint should be. small, 8 table room and a order counter. pit just 10 steps outside the door, rolling smoke. which they where glad to show off to me when I commented on that fact. sides where great. no stew though. sauces were good, but on the sweet side. a little more heat to balance and it would have been excellent.

Back
Top Bottom