• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stealing or not?

Is it still wrong if the law isn't strictly enforced?

• Yes.

Votes: 116 84.7%
  • No.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No such thing as free tacos.

Votes: 19 13.9%

• Total voters
How do you define boundaries for wild animals? My property is not very wide but it is deep. I have 60 acres but if I put out corn for the deer and my neighbor is turkey hunting 100 yds from the land boundary, is he in violation? I keep food out year round so even in turkey season there is plenty of food. Can you get ticketed for someone else bait close to your property?
There are no boundaries for wild animals. The boundaries only come into play for regulations.
Multi bazillionaire oil heiress Granny tree hugging critter lover can have every square inch of her 10,000 acres covered with 'supplemental feed' (you know to keep the animals from starving to death) and your adjoining 5 acres is good to go.

You must have typed that quickly because I'm not following. ;) Is the scenario I laid out stealing/poaching or not? Why or why not?
The law is clear. The (lack of) enforcement is clear as well.

A jury may choose to acquit a defendant even though the defendant is guilty of breaking the law. For example the jury may come to the conclusion that the law is stupid (such as enforcing someone to pay a tax for not participating in Obamacare) or they may determine the law is Unconstitutional (see the previous example). Please note I deserve kudos for somehow finding a way to insert Obamacare into this thread. :cool:

What I am saying is that Mr. Green Jeans is choosing to exercise his right to jury nullification in the field.

For example if someone is hunting turkey, and there is a pile of corn between him and the turkey he just shot, this is clearly stealing. If a person has some corn out in front of a game camera but just shot a turkey on their property hundreds of yards away, over several hills, and across the stream, this is clearly NOT stealing.

As such Mr Green Jeans just chose to exercise his right to jury nullification in the field because the reg is stupid. Of course there technically is no such right to jury nullification in the field, but I can live with the choice Mr Green Jeans just made.

Last edited:
A jury may choose to acquit a defendant even though the defendant is guilty of breaking the law. For example the jury may come to the conclusion that the law is stupid (such as enforcing someone to pay a tax for not participating in Obamacare) or they may determine the law is Unconstitutional (see the previous example). Please note I deserve kudos for somehow finding a way to insert Obamacare into this thread. :cool:

What I am saying is that Mr. Green Jeans is choosing to exercise is right to jury nullification in the field.

For example if someone is hunting turkey, and there is a pile of corn between him and the turkey he just shot, this is clearly stealing. If a person has some corn out in front of a game camera but just shot a turkey on their property hundreds of yards away, over several hills, and across the stream, this is clearly NOT stealing.

As such Mr Green Jeans just chose to exercise his right to jury nullification in the field because the reg is stupid. Of course there technically is no such right to jury nullification in the field, but I can live with the choice Mr Green Jeans just made.
Jury nullification applies to the defendant, not the enforcement agent. You could suggest it may apply to the prosecutor but this isn't that.
In any case, so YOUR answer is it IS breaking the law but may or may not be stealing? What if that turkey shot 'hundreds of yards away over several hills and across the stream' would not be on the property in the first place without the corn piles?
Are there any other game laws you can think of that should be arbitrarily enforced? Are there any that you think shouldn't be followed? Do you have any 'slippery slope' concerns for THE sport that is almost solely regulated by 'honor'. (FYI - Those aren't leading question. They are genuine.)

I agree 100%!
However, remember, this is going to be about HUNTING.... so a discussion about 'morarlity' will go a very predictable route... (unfortunately).
Also remember that hunting is a game of 'honor' since the chance of getting caught breaking a game law, is VERY low.

honor is integrity and I won't compromise......

Jury nullification applies to the defendant, not the enforcement agent. You could suggest it may apply to the prosecutor but this isn't that.
In any case, so YOUR answer is it IS breaking the law but may or may not be stealing? What if that turkey shot 'hundreds of yards away over several hills and across the stream' would not be on the property in the first place without the corn piles?
Are there any other game laws you can think of that should be arbitrarily enforced? Are there any that you think shouldn't be followed? Do you have any 'slippery slope' concerns for THE sport that is almost solely regulated by 'honor'. (FYI - Those aren't leading question. They are genuine.)

Jury nullification applies to the jury. It is their right to exercise it, and it is sad fact many people are not aware of this right (not saying you personally are or aren't aware of it). But see my second to last sentence in my quote above. I recognize the fact there is no such right for an enforcement officer in the field, I am just using it to make a point.

The regulation is stupid in the first place so I am fine with an enforcement officer making a judgment call based on the scenario. And it is a wild animal so there is no way to determine why it was on your property in the first place. That particular turkey may despise corn.

But as I said originally, you never know what type of officer you may encounter so why take the chance in the first place. I know I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom