• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stock Rem700 5R 20” .308

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Rifle belongs to a local SWAT Team. They brought it to me, straight out of the box. I handlapped the barrel, took it completely apart (including the bolt), cleaned it thoroughly, lubed, and reassembled. Mounted the scope and sent it out.

Here’s one of the first 5-shot groups, using Hornady ELD ammo. Not too shabby for a stock rifle, with the stock trigger, and factory ammo.

FD6F3EB2-BDE1-410A-B9DA-E594E99D0AB2.jpeg

I mostly wanted to post this so folks would see that you don’t necessarily have to spend more money than I spent on my first car to get out and play the long range/Precision game. There is a goodly list of rifle out there in the $800-$1200, brand new, category that will run past 1,000yds with no issues. There are plenty of rifles out there used for a lot less. For instance, there’s a $600 Rem700 PSS .308 for sale on the sight right now. Outstanding rifle for a great deal.

I’ve seen quite a few shooters with a stock .308 ring steel repeatedly at 1,000 - 1,450 yards.

Shoot a turnkey rifle for a while, and you’ll figure out a few things:
1. Whether or not this is an activity that you like and want to pursue further
2. What mods you want to make to the rifle to fit YOU.

Once you have a rifle, you’ve got that action you need. By the time you wear that first barrel out (good luck with that!) you’ll have figured out what upgrades you need to fit YOU, not what that yahoo on the interweb said you need.

If you haven’t pulled the trigger, waited, then heard the “Ding!”, and seen that steel dance at 1,000yds +, you ain’t lived!

Gaw dang. Remington's a ****ty rifles and shoot like ****. Can't believe anyone would ever buy one of those. You need to get you a savage and put an athlon on top.

I know, right!? Their quality has gone down hill! The 700 won’t hit the side of a barn if you’re standing inside and the fit and finish on the 870 is so bad they won’t cycle birdshot!

That's a great result. I hope they rebound. I love my early Remys. I have a late 700 BDL still looks brand new. Less than a 100 rounds through it. Hell it isn't even broke in yet and is crazy accurate. I am always on the hunt for super clean early Remys. Bought a Pump action Woods Master 30-06 a couple months back. It looks like it just came out the case. If I have the cash on me and I get my hands on a real looker I buy em up. I LOVE MY EARLY REMYS! I really want a real clean 700 BDL in 243. It eludes me.
Enough about me. Glad you got a keeper. Don't let it go for nothing. Love it, pet it, clean it and treat it better than your wife. I will bring more joy that's for sure. LOL J/K

Oh hell Cmshoot I didn't see that was you. If I ever buy a bolt gun of the shelf I am going to bring it to you and let you do your voodoo on it. That's sh*t is craaaazy! I also didn't see the Swat rifle. Shucks I though you had yourself a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom