• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stocking a little extra

There's a lot of truth here. And it's funny about you mentioning picking up extra gas. I was looking online for spare gas tanks, looks like Harbor freight has the best deals. Going to grab 4 more and pick them up this week.
Yeah grab a couple bottle of stable for gas and yeah if you can get ethanol free that’s better.
I stored a couple hundred gallons in 5 gal cans.
If you think about it 20-30 gal gas tanks in a vehicle will burn through that pretty quick but if it gets that bad we may not be doing that much driving.
I try to rotate my gas cans to keep them fresh all the time.

One more thing as far as the food issues go….Costco is a mad house as we all know but even though shelves may be to the rafters in some areas you can see what items are not which means stock up on that stuff now.
Costco has already began rationing certain items and I’m sure it will get worse as time goes on.

I've said it before, while a bit pricey, the 20L Wavian NATO cans are a real comfort to have if you have room to store them. Additives will stretch your shelf life to a year or so before you should use the fuel (I burn it in a vehicle when I have massive fuel points then restock). I also buy the pure gas for the cans, no ethanol.

Yeah those NATO cans are awesome but even the cheap, plastic capped ones from harbor freight are $80 a piece.
I bought two of them over time for attaching to my Jeep and my work van but the $20 plastic cans at tractor supply are fine.
The blue, red and yellow cans are all the same material and hold gasoline all the same….I’ve had gasoline in the blue jugs for years with zero issues just in case that’s all they have cause everyone buys up the red jugs and leaves all the blue and yellow.

Yeah grab a couple bottle of stable for gas and yeah if you can get ethanol free that’s better.
I stored a couple hundred gallons in 5 gal cans.
If you think about it 20-30 gal gas tanks in a vehicle will burn through that pretty quick but if it gets that bad we may not be doing that much driving.
I try to rotate my gas cans to keep them fresh all the time.

One more thing as far as the food issues go….Costco is a mad house as we all know but even though shelves may be to the rafters in some areas you can see what items are not which means stock up on that stuff now.
Costco has already began rationing certain items and I’m sure it will get worse as time goes on.
I keep 45 gallons on hand to run the generator in case of power failures/need to extend range on a vehicle and 20,000 rounds of rifle ammo to keep the indigenous personnel off the generator.

I heard some dem on tv blabbing that this coming food shortage will help implement their "green new deal". This is why I HATE all politicians. The dems are communist scum trying to destroy us and our country and the repubs are too greedy and cowardly to stand up to them in gov
Pretty much sums it up. They're all hogs at the same trough.

Think about how law enforcement is going to change overnight if it becomes serious. The cops aren't going to let their families starve, they'll use whatever means at their disposal to get what they want. I have about 12 neighbors that are cops and they only associate with each other

Yeah those NATO cans are awesome but even the cheap, plastic capped ones from harbor freight are $80 a piece.
I bought two of them over time for attaching to my Jeep and my work van but the $20 plastic cans at tractor supply are fine.
The blue, red and yellow cans are all the same material and hold gasoline all the same….I’ve had gasoline in the blue jugs for years with zero issues just in case that’s all they have cause everyone buys up the red jugs and leaves all the blue and yellow.
Most 5 gal buckets are made from the same plastic as fuel cans. Not saying its a great idea but if it came down to it, you could store fuel in them. So long as its in a temperature controlled environment. I keep kerosene in a 5 gal bucket with a closed lid. Never had an issue. Luckily I inherited several gas cans so I havent needed to store gas like that. I refuse to pay stupid prices for gov modified pieces of crap cans just to store kerosene though.

Think about how law enforcement is going to change overnight if it becomes serious. The cops aren't going to let their families starve, they'll use whatever means at their disposal to get what they want. I have about 12 neighbors that are cops and they only associate with each other
You might just have to move.
Either that or become a cop.

I've been going to a lot of estate sales lately. Have picked up quite a few 2 1/2 and 5 gallon gas cans with the old spout cheap. I also pick up cast iron pans cheaply and add them to my stash.

I restocked the small meals for 2 people that we keep on hand at our church. I rotated out all the rice crispie treats and power bars and boxes of macaroni and cheese that were past the use by dates and took the old to our family reuinon on Saturday and the kids went nuts and it was all gone quickly. The cans of tuna and chicken are well within their use by dates and we also vacuum sealed one pound bags of rice and beans to extend the food in the meal sets. They have come in very handy when someone has hit a bad spot and is short on food. It will keep them going but not stock their larder. My only job is to act as a stop gap there.

From my Y2K days, I have a wheat and corn grinder. I picked up some 50 pound bags of popcorn at Sam's cheaply and vacuum sealed 5 pound bags and put them away in 5 gallon containers. I can grind 5 pounds of popcorn into corn meal in a pretty short time.

I picked up a 260 gallon food quality tote for about $150 bucks and filled that with word in my big storage building. I wrapped a couple of rolls of insulation around it just to make sure it doesn't freeze but the plastic is pretty thick and I don't think that is a real concern. It is in a meal surround tote and is very sturdy. I may get another one soon. There is a guy that advertises on Craigslist that is down on Six Flags Drive and he has all kids of barrels and totes for pretty cheap. I got my latest burn barrels from him too.

Went to Aldi's on Friday. They have the most inexpensive can goods around. Bring your own bags. If you want them to bag your stuff you have to buy the bags from them. Only 10 or 15 cents a bag but it's easy enough to bring you own bags.

Tested out all the Ham gear. I can hit the local repeaters with 2 meters. HF is working fine. CB is also working great and when skip is good I can talk into the adjoining states.

Pruned my gun safes. If I haven't shot it in 2 or 3 years or if I've never shot it then it was sold off at ODT gunshow. I have extra ammo in different calibers that I will use to barter with and not offer up any of my main weapon calibers. Also have picked up more black powder pistols (sold one off that I didn't like) but am having a hard time finding caps (#10) but have a few hundred on hand along with powder and ball and the other necessities. Also have a long bow and enough arrows for what ever reason may come up.

Well stocked in my necessary medication. If you stock antibiotics for your "fish" and "other animals" be aware that while most of that stuff is over the counter, I believe a new law has been passed and it will become prescription only within the next two months. If you think your fish are going to get sick soon you might want to stock up on that too.

Precious metals are getting hard to come by. The spot prices are dropping a little bit but the premiums are getting huge. Beware of people that want to buy your silver and gold at spot prices. You can get about half of the premiums now over spot when selling to reputable shops.

Stay safe and be aware for the coming next emergency.

Back
Top Bottom