• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stocking up, when do you?

richs

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
40   0
Reaction score
I've kept an ever vigil watch on component prices, and was wondering when to stock up on things. I've noticed that S&B primers are on sale at Cabela's for $19.95/1000 and I've had reasonable luck with them. Right now, I've got less than 1K of pistol and 1200 rifle primers. I just got 1lb of pistol powder and 1200 bullets. For Rifle, 1lb of powder that'll produce 250 - 260 rounds and 800 bullets.
Not counting the ammo stock-piled, how much components do you guys keep on hand?

It varies widely.
Powders typically from about 8 pounds to about 25-28 pounds, Primers from 6 -7 K to around 15 K, projectiles in the area of 3-4 K usually.
I order almost all my components on line , save a lot of money that way, but due to haz mat and shipping you need to order 8-10 pounds of powder and /or 6-8 K primers to really save.
of course you don't pay tax on it and its delivered to your door so no looking and driving around everywhere, typically there is a much better selection as well.
Powders generally in the 17-24 dollar a pound price, if you order 4/ 8 lb kegs even lower, Primers (CCI) are like 26 Bucks per k, so the money saved adds up quickly.

A loaded round is like a chain, good as it's weakest link. Skimping on primers may be a mistake. Get quality components in case quantities............. buy once, cry once

Last order I made was 30 bs of powder and 15K primers I think. I hate paying hazmat.I do grab primers local when I see them on sale. Projectiles I order 2-3k at a time.

Every time i have the money. Components are just getting higher and higher. Store your powder and primers at the right temp. and they will stay good for years. in the 80's 500 240gr hard cast bullets cost me $16. Now they are $70. Powder and primmers didn't really start going up until the last few years. Once they are paid for they don't eat anything.

Rule of thumb -

Buy it when you see it not when you need it. Because when you need it, you may not be able to buy it........

Bayou
Good advice. Backorder if you can.
I just got an in-stock notice from Midsouth for some Varget I placed on backorder in Dec of 13. Yep, I said bring it on.

Just FYI -

We had a new Spotrman's Warehouse open in our area a couple weeks ago. It's the best supply of powders annd primers I've seen on the shelves in nany yeaars.

Hallelujah!

Bayou

Back
Top Bottom