• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Storing firearms in Georgia Humidity

Anyone use a PEET dryer?

1693825328406.jpeg

golden rods work well.. I've found WD40's corrosion inhibitor to be excellent. It's a spray that dry's like a wax. excellent product

My safes are in the basement which is climate controlled. They all have a full size and a mini goldenrod in them. There is also a dehumidifier in the basement. I keep humidity in the safes at 48-52%. I rarely have to run the full size rod, usually only after a rainy season. I've never had any of my firearms rust when stored there. Any that will be put away for a long time got a heavy coat of oil and then put in a gun sock. The only way I clean is complete disassembly and liberal coats of oil while wearing latex gloves. I leave no chance of a stray fingerprint on them.

For guns that are going to be in storage for a long period I use a few layers of VCI shrink wrap (kind of like Saran Wrap but with corrosion inhibitors). I've stored guns for years wrapped in this stuff, but it can be expensive.

I used to be able to get this:

for about $30 a roll, but I haven't seen it for a while now. Glad I bought a couple of rolls when I could.

I usually also put the wrapped guns in a gun sock to protect a bit against dings and scratches, not for rust-proofing.

I run a dehumidifier year around in my house. In the summer I dump a full gallon maybe a gallon and a half out of that thing each morning. It's insane how much water it pulls out of the air every night. In the garage I would say get a couple more. Also wipe the blued guns down with a coat of heavy viscosity synthetic oil. That will protect them more than you can realize.

Uncooked rice will help absorb the moisture.
Put a pound of rice in a pantyhose leg in each safe.
Change out every six months.

I keep all my blue steel guns in Bore Stores. They are impregnated with silicone and resistant to moisture so once you oil your gun down and stick them in that sock you shouldn't have a problem with the moisture getting to that steel. Plus it keeps them from banging each other anyway.

Read up on them and I think you'll find they'll be a help with the blue steel guns.

This 30-06 was stored in an attic for 20 + years before Inherited it. It was wiped down good with Hopped #9 oil inside and out and put in a vinyl zip up gun case. When my father died I took it out cracked that vinyl case open and it still looked like a brand new rifle. If you wipe the exterior steel and the bore and chamber down real good in oil it will not rust. You have got to know how humid it gets in an attic in Georgia. It gets so humid you can feel the moisture hit your skin. If you use a gun case that's impervious to moisture like vinyl and wipe that gun down real good and oil it won't rust. I have one gun that's older than I am and looks like brand new a 20 gauge shotgun and that 1980 model 700 BDL 30-06 is the same way. Both these guns were stored the same way. If you have a gun safe just wipe them down an oil real good exterior and the bore and chamber. Stick them in the safe and run a dehumidifier where they're at. You'll never have one spot of rust on them. These guns have never been refinished or touched.

IMG_20220604_214502754.jpg
IMG_20220603_173924121.jpg

This 30-06 was stored in an attic for 20 + years before Inherited it. It was wiped down good with Hopped #9 oil inside and out and put in a vinyl zip up gun case. When my father died I took it out cracked that vinyl case open and it still looked like a brand new rifle. If you wipe the exterior steel and the bore and chamber down real good in oil it will not rust. You have got to know how humid it gets in an attic in Georgia. It gets so humid you can feel the moisture hit your skin. If you use a gun case that's impervious to moisture like vinyl and wipe that gun down real good and oil it won't rust. I have one gun that's older than I am and looks like brand new a 20 gauge shotgun and that 1980 model 700 BDL 30-06 is the same way. Both these guns were stored the same way. If you have a gun safe just wipe them down an oil real good exterior and the bore and chamber. Stick them in the safe and run a dehumidifier where they're at. You'll never have one spot of rust on them. These guns have never been refinished or touched.

View attachment 6221765View attachment 6221766
I hadn't thought of that. Finally a use for those crackly vinyl 1960's and 70's rifle cases I usually throw away.

I agree with a previous poster though, periodically get them out and wipe them down and check for rust. I don't keep firearms in the garage or a basement though. Only in climate controlled spaces.

Back
Top Bottom