• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Story time. Lesson learned.

12' would be to close I would say you are in the shoot zone, I would not require physical contact to shoot. Once you let someone make contacts it may be too late.

Agreed. The problem for me is once you pull the trigger, its going to be left up to the opinion of others if you were justified. With todays stigma against firearms, it "might" be a difficult ride and it shouldn't be.

Agreed. The problem for me is once you pull the trigger, its going to be left up to the opinion of others if you were justified. With todays stigma against firearms, it "might" be a difficult ride and it shouldn't be.
I agree, I will take my chance in court over getting killed any day

Can anyone site a Georgia case where a homeonwer has been prosecute for shooting or otherwise killing a home invader? The law isn't completely clear. I have looked and I can not find a case. I found (1) where a man was charged in Fulton county for shooting a burglar in his fathers home after a neighbor called and said someone was in the house. The Father was out of town and the son who did not live there went over and shot the burgar. I can find other cases where someone claimed a home invasion and it turn out that wasn't the case and the homeowner was charged. I can't find a case where someone broke into a home while the homeowner was at home and then was charged for shooting the intruder. I am only looking for Georgia cases, I can find cases in northern states as well as the west coast. If you find or can site a case please referance your source or provide a link
Thanks!

Despite how I was often misquoted in this thread, Georgia is a really good state when it comes to “defending your home”. As a SME, Instructor, and LEO, I don’t give my personal thoughts on the matter out very often, I simply cite state law and advise folks to stay within the lane.

How do you determine if your life is in danger?

That is up to you, and will vary from person to person. The code section states:

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

So, if you reasonably believe that using deadly force is required on your part to protect yourself or a third party from death or serious bodily injury, you’re good to go.

So it would require a visible weapon or physical contact?

If a person were 12 ft away and continued to walked towards you, would you be in fear or would you ask them to leave till they closed the distance?

Deadly force does not require physical contact, or a set distance. If you reasonably believe that using deadly force is required on your part to protect yourself or a third party from death or serious bodily injury, you’re good to go.

Deadly force does not require physical contact, or a set distance. If you reasonably believe that using deadly force is required on your part to protect yourself or a third party from death or serious bodily injury, you’re good to go.

Everyone wants a "bright line".

There just isn't one. The statute speaks in terms of a "reasonable belief", and a "threat" - what is "reasonable" is VERY VERY fact specific, and this is the rock on which this discussion inevitably founders.

I'm old and have two bad knees. I can't run away from a three year old. You get in my face and threaten bodily harm, I will try to advise to consider your life choices, but any beyond that, any overt act or words that threaten bodily harm to me will get you shot.

There is a whole list of factors the courts allow to be used to determine "reasonable" - the relative size of the parties, there age, what implements were used or threatened to be used, where did the confrontation take place, what words were said and the context - did those words create a reasonable fear in one party AT THAT TIME. In other words (see what I did there) language that may create a reasonable fear in a certain context, may not be deemed to create that fear in another context.

There is no "bright line".

Everyone wants a "bright line".

There just isn't one. The statute speaks in terms of a "reasonable belief", and a "threat" - what is "reasonable" is VERY VERY fact specific, and this is the rock on which this discussion inevitably founders.

I'm old and have two bad knees. I can't run away from a three year old. You get in my face and threaten bodily harm, I will try to advise to consider your life choices, but any beyond that, any overt act or words that threaten bodily harm to me will get you shot.

There is a whole list of factors the courts allow to be used to determine "reasonable" - the relative size of the parties, there age, what implements were used or threatened to be used, where did the confrontation take place, what words were said and the context - did those words create a reasonable fear in one party AT THAT TIME. In other words (see what I did there) language that may create a reasonable fear in a certain context, may not be deemed to create that fear in another context.

There is no "bright line".
Exactly! And all of these factors will be judged by others after the fact using 20/20 hindsight. That's why I say not to judge when to pull the trigger based only on legalities, but rather, on the absolute legitimate need to.

Exactly! And all of these factors will be judged by others after the fact using 20/20 hindsight. That's why I say not to judge when to pull the trigger based only on legalities, but rather, on the absolute legitimate need to.

And I agree with both of your post. That said, since there is no line in the sand, what you consider reasonable cause 12 others may not.

If you hesitant wondering if you think you are truly in danger then, you may very well be.

Do you yell GET OUT OFF MY HOUSE? do you call 911 as soon as you hear a noise or do you wait to confirm it isnt a shampoo bottle? Im hoping I dont have to go through this ever but, my basic plan is the bedroom door. They can have the entire house but once the bedroom door is compromised, its game on.

If its a forced entry while im in the living room and Ive no time to get to the bedroom, its instant game on. Hopefully Ive got a weapon near me at that time. Usually 50/50 and I need to improve that.

Back
Top Bottom