• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuck AR buffer???

oxbat

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I put this carbine together last weekend with a new buffer tube and a used spring and buffer I had. Pulled the charging handle back and the buffer and spring staying back in the tube? Pointed it down and giggled it and the bolt falls free. Had to remove the stock and stick an Allen wrench(only thing small enough on hand) in the little hole in the end of the buffer tube, and tap it with a hammer to release the spring. Tried this a couple times, stuck every time.
Pull another buffer and spring from another gun, same thing.
The guy I got the tube from said he would replace it, so I picked up a new tube, spring, and buffer this evening. SAME THING, STUCK!
What are the chances of getting 2 bad buffer tubes, or am I missing something???
Thanks for any input,
ox.

New buffer tube, used buffer and spring - buffer gets stuck with spring compressed.

New buffer tube, buffer and spring - same results

How far back is the buffer when it gets stuck?

I would remove the buffer tube from the lower, then just drop the buffer in the tube and see how it moves in the tube. If that works good try putting the spring in with the buffer and see how that works.

Either the tubes are way out of spec or you have a major alignment issue somewhere. Try the buffer and spring in a known working gun and start ruling out bad parts. Can you pull the CH back about 1/2 way and everything work correctly? Check the CH and make sure it isn't bent and causing the binding also. It shouldn't be that hard to find the bad part of out the 5 to 6 moving pieces.

Ok...So looks like I got ahold of 2 bad buffer tubes in a row. Put upper on other lowers, works fine. Eliminating upper, BCG, and CH. Put lower in question on two other know working uppers, same issue, stuck!
Removed tube and dropped in buffer, stuck. With before mentioned Allen wrench, finally got buffer out. Installed buffer with spring, and compressed with dowel, stuck!
**Side note** Attempting to remove stuck buffer and compressed spring with an Allen wrench and hammer requires two hands....keep small children and pets clear...
Long story short, Allen wrench inserts about 1" before making contact with the buffer, so something is out of wack on the inside.
Tube #3 will be ordered tomorrow, from a different source, and we shall see...

Could it be a Mil-Spec vs Commercial Buffer tube issue? I am not sure if actual buffer size vary or not. If so a commercial buffer in a Mil-spec tube could create issues I would think??

Could it be a Mil-Spec vs Commercial Buffer tube issue? I am not sure if actual buffer size vary or not. If so a commercial buffer in a Mil-spec tube could create issues I would think??

Buffer and spring are the same, the only difference is in the outside dimensions.

Who are you buying from, what brand is it?

Back
Top Bottom