• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid question?

The example of a 140mm STI magazine loaded with 22 rounds and a Sig MPX magazine with Taran Tactical +11 round loaded to 41 rounds are two examples of quality magazine springs that I know will lose tension on the last few rounds if left fully loaded for a few weeks. The design is probably allowing the spring to be compressed past the point of permanent deformation.

This is not a common example but it is an example of a magazine spring that will shorten and lose tension in a short time when fully loaded. I hope this doesn’t translate into someone thinking that all magazine springs will fail if left fully loaded but only that there are two cases I can prove exist.

The magazines pictured to the left have been stored that way for 10 plus years. The empty mags to the right have now been loaded and stored for roughly 4 years (that picture is from July'17)
I periodically use them, picking at random, just to spot check them and have never had an issue. (Note: I use USGI mags exclusively...mostly Okay ind. some center, DH, Parsons, etc)
Like stated before, a spring "wears" from use (sprung,unsprung,sprung,unsprung,etc) not from a single compression over time.
The biggest problems I have with USGI mags, is lately, manufactures tolerances for their mag wells have been off. I guess they assume everyone uses pmags nowadays. My USGI mags fit my Daewoo and older Bushmaster fine, but some are pretty snug in my Aero and Anderson. I'd like to try the same mags in a newer Daniel Defense or Lewis Machine and see how their tolerances are these days...but I digress....
Bottom line I will keep my metal mags loaded. I definitely wouldn't on any kind of poly mag (because of the feed lips, not the spring...a spring is a spring is a spring. Rifle or pistol...metal yes, poly no.)

Attachments

• 20170721_133921~2.jpg
    20170721_133921~2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom