• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stupid things you did when you were a kid

Back before the Interstates, when US hwy 1 was a major North-South route, kids in the country used to get an old suitcase and stuff whatever live critter they could find in it. Racoon, possum, bobcat, snake.
Then set it on the side of the road like it had fallen out of a car. Wait for someone to stop and pick it up, then follow them to see how quick the car stopped, doors flew open and passengers bailed when they opened it.

Or, set up just over the crest of a hill, stake out two black phone wires across he road a couple of feet apart, watch folks lock up their brakes thinking they were about to hit a speed trap.

When I was 4 I set a few cheap plastic lawn chairs on fire that had a car sponge and some random stuff on it in the garage. My mom noticed and put it out. I got the biggest ass whooping possible. I remember later on I had a cheap airsoft pistol and would shoot bees in the flower bed with it.

My friend and I would shoot arrows straight up and stand real still until they came back down!
My wife and one of her brothers would play "native" he was throwing tomato steaks and got her in the ankle!

My older brother and I worked at my Dad’s shop when we were young. The bathroom was very small and pretty rough looking. When nature called for me to have a sit down, my brother would wait a minute or two after I closed the door, which had about a half inch gap at the bottom. Then he would break off the wooden stick of a bottle rocket, light it and slide it under the door. When the propellant kicked in, the ”stickless” rocket would swam all around the tiny stall like a mad hornet, bouncing off of whatever it happened to hit, before emitting an ear ringing report. One day, just about the time I was starting to crown, I heard his lighter click and I saw that familiar sparkle from under the door. It was like this one had a homing device on it. It flew around near the the ceiling for a few seconds before finally coming to rest on the seat next to my bare cheek! BOOM! I had a black mark there for the next day or so. Then the day finally came when he was in the hot seat. I prepared my munitions appropriately, light the fuse, slide it under the door, and step back. I had never heard such cussing, and banging around from this tiny room as I heard that day. As it turned out, my revenge rocket had flown straight into my brother’s pants, which were jumbled around his ankles, burning multiple holes throughout his attire. Needless to say, I never had anymore pyrotechnics surprises after that when I visited the toilet.

My friend and I would shoot arrows straight up and stand real still until they came back down!
My wife and one of her brothers would play "native" he was throwing tomato steaks and got her in the ankle!
Mmmmm…
those tomato steaks and a little mayo make a great sammich.

As adults, my two younger brothers and I would sometimes discuss things we'd gotten into as kids. Mom would only say in a tired voice, "Thank God I didn't know about that."

In those idiocy filled years of 8-13 (?) a bunch of us in the neighborhood made huge earth ramps for "Moto-cross" jumps. We'd dig deep holes and pile all the dirt, then someone would ride as fast as they could to jump the pit. The real stupid thing was we'd often lie in the pit to watch the bike fly over us.

The ramps were tall, and we got a lot of air, I remember busting the sissy-bar on the back of the banana seat on my bike to I replaced it with a seat from a ten speed. I about busted my balls landing behind the seat, on the rear tire. Oooooooph!

Fast forward about eight to ten years. I'm helping my mother clean out my oldest brother's room. She's going through a desk drawer and says "OH MY GOD!" and sits down on the bed. I run over and she's holding a bunch of photos my oldest brother took of us all doing the jumps....with some of us lying in the pit as the bikes fly over. And, boy, did you really get way up in the air.

She told me then and there that there were some things she never, ever, wanted to know.

One time I ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and visited another dimension.

It all started with an innocent experiment to see what would happen if I drilled out the top of an empty CO2 cartridge from my BB gun and filled it full of gun powder. I finished it off with a firecracker as a detonator. As soon as I lit the fuse and threw it down the hill behind the house I saw my mom coming out of the back door. She started to yell something at me when suddenly time and space were shattered and I was in a world made of white light and shining stars. I'm not sure where I went or how long I was gone but in that moment my entire body was made out of pulsating shock waves and I could see sideways through time. When I finally came back to this dimension my mom was in my face screaming at me at the top of her lungs. I assume she was congratulating me on my scientific discovery but I'm not sure. My hearing was still tuned into the vibrational frequency of the universe which sounds a lot like a high-pitched ringing.

Even now I can still hear that high pitched ringing and for some reason I've never felt the need to repeat that experiment.

I guess I am like the guy who came for a job interview when my wife was personnel manager and when he got to the part that asked about prior offences he said "I'll need more paper"

My grandpa was a weapons and demo man in ww2 he taught me at a young age how to mix certain things and make “stump poppers” well one day I was left unattended for a tad to long and I quickly put together a big in. As soon as it went off I knew I had screwed up, left a three foot crater in the middle of the yard, blew the back windows out of his house and the neighbors house. And got a visit from a very angry sheriff.

Back
Top Bottom