• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suburban coyote hunting? help please!

Troutbum18

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
34   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My parents live in a pretty populated area of Marietta, but there are still a good bit of woods in their neighborhood. The past few times I've been over, we've heard packs of coyotes howling like crazy and they are pretty damn close. Some of them are even showing up in front yards of their next door neighbors. There are a lot of dogs in the area, from little terriers to big black labs, and everyone is getting concerned about letting them out in their own backyard. One neighbor found their dog dead and torn up in their backyard, and others have heard some pretty shrill animal noises in the woods. Anyway, my question is can I get a bow, sit out in the woods, and start dealing with this problem? Obviously i can't use a rifle, but are there any other legality issues I should be made aware of? I know there's no closed season for them, but figured I'd ask the pros (I.E. this forum). Seems like a fun task to deal with for the benefit of the neighborhood, but figured I ought to look into it first. Any help is appreciated!!

Population should not determine the outcome. Are you inside city limits or no? I would use a bow if you wanted a challenge but their eyesight and sense of smell is pretty darn good. A .22 with some shot placement practice at various distances should suffice. Subsonics if your worried about noise. Or look into some haveaheart traps and dispatch them accordingly. That way if you catch the neighbors dog no harm no foul.

different counties and municipalities have different laws. check on the local laws, but i will bet these coyotes will be hard to approach unless you get lucky and killing one or two will not solve the problem.

They're not in city limits, but there are a good number of houses in the area, including some that back up to the other side of the woods, maybe a 200 yards or so. I've heard Coyotes are pretty skittish, and tough to hunt, but am not sure a rifle, even a .22 would be a great idea considering the number of houses in the area. I will, however, keep that in mind. Maybe I could find a place in the power lines (where we've heard them as well) and get a clear shot with a .22. Thanks for the advice!

Get good with a distressed rabbit call, or buy an electric one. Know your target and what is beyond it. Camo/ concealment is key, and always expect them to come from downwind. They are usually very cautious animals.

I wouldnt worry about using a .22 to much if you can hunt from a tree. They do need dealing with!! If it is a large pack, or even small one, they have been known to attack small children! DO what you must.

I wouldnt worry about using a .22 to much if you can hunt from a tree. They do need dealing with!! If it is a large pack, or even small one, they have been known to attack small children! DO what you must.

So have domestic dogs.. Human deaths from coyotes are relatively small in number when compared to other wild animals in north america and canada. Im not saying they will not attack but the main problem I can see is peoples pets.

If getting rid of them as fast as possible is the objective I know a guy who has caught several in a live trap. That seems to work well with out such a time commitment. Then you can do as you wish with them.

Back
Top Bottom