• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Success! - Has anyone successfully shipped a handgun person to person in GA?

mugsy

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Well gentlemen I am frustrated.

I spent several hours trying to convince UPS personnel (in person and over the phone) that both the law and their company's written policy allow shipping handguns person-to-person (both non-licensees) within the State of GA.

Fedex was very clear - they written policy clearly says they will only ship if the recipient is an FFL holder or a manufacturer. By contrast UPS says that among those that are able to ship are:

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors ..., from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

The underlined portion seems to me to say that UPS by their own policy should ship between non-licensees within the State of GA but I could not get anyone at UPS to agree.

Next step will be for me to quote applicable ATF rules , and UPS company policy and then fire off a politely worded request for UPS to clarify their position.

However, I would like to know if anyone has shipped via UPS successfully.

VR,

Mugsy

Last edited:
But ammo has to follow special laws due to the powder, but guns do not. UPS just ask value of package. It is no one business what you are shipping until its lost then You will have to tell them. UPS and USPS will have to cover the lost because it is not against there rules. Fedx will not, since it is against there rules.

I have used USPS, It worked. w/o issues.

I shipped a KelTec back to the factory via UPS. I received my G32 back from Glock this week vie Fedex. But for P2P I have never tried it. There's a sticky around regarding the law but making those knuckleheads understand my well be impossible. Best of luck amigo.

Shipped one to another member and he shipped me another in trade (GSG-5P for RIA 1911) via UPS insured it sent from UPS store in Lawrenceville to his home in Armuchee we each had a new toy next day cost $18 Package it and take it they CANNOT label it as a firearm and CANNOT refuse shipment. Guy at the UPS store had to make a call, but was pleasant about it. Guy I traded with had to take it directly to UPS FYI shipped on 10-13-2010

Shipped one to another member and he shipped me another in trade (GSG-5P for RIA 1911) via UPS insured it sent from UPS store in Lawrenceville to his home in Armuchee we each had a new toy next day cost $18 Package it and take it they CANNOT label it as a firearm and CANNOT refuse shipment. Guy at the UPS store had to make a call, but was pleasant about it. Guy I traded with had to take it directly to UPS FYI shipped on 10-13-2010

I don't suppose that you can get me the number or even the name of the folks that you dealt with? My problem was I did what UPS specifies - I packaged an unloaded weapon in appropriate boxes and then upon arrival as the fellow grabbed and was weighing the box without comment I declared what it was at which point he said I need a copy of the FFL for the person receiving the gun. After that I was unable to make headway.

What did you do? Did the person you dealt with seem familiar with the process and procedures? It would really help me to have a UPS employee, knowledgeable about their policies, to be able to call the Valdosta Customer service center and explain it to them.

Ship USPS, Do not tell them what is in it. Follow all laws. That simple. And then yes, You will get the product shipped. Promise. And always get insurance.

Spas-12 - Federal Law requires that you notify the common or contract carrier that the package includes a firearm - so to do what you are saying isn't breaking company policy but violating Federal law.

Reference: Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Sorry, but your solution doesn't work.

VR,

Mugsy

OK, success! Here is what happened:

- Lodged a formal, but politely worded, complaint asking why the Valdosta UPS Customer Service Center (VUCSC) was not honoring UPS' written policies on shipping firearms (handguns specifically). Specifically said I would like someone in authority to call the VUCSC manager and clear up his misunderstanding of ATF Rules and UPS policies.
- Explained why I felt the CSC was in error - in plain clear English - using ATF Rules & UPS' own published policies as the source
- Provided links to the citations I used above (including paragraph and line references) so anyone could check my facts
- I stuck with a consistent, polite story through several layers of customer service reps until I finally had a UPS inspector call me at home

The inspector asked me to restate my complaint/request, then he told me that what I wanted to do was illegal - I politely and respectfully disagreed, stated my sources and offered to send him an e-mail with all the links. He seemed surprised, but took me up on the offer and, 30 minutes later called back to say I was correct and that he had called the VUCSC to correct their misunderstanding.

Bottom Line: I was today able to legally ship a handgun, in-State, via UPS.

Only bad part is that UPS policy is that all handguns (not long guns) must ship via Next Day Air which is fairly pricey. But it is cheaper than driving from South Georgia to North Georgia. So, it can be done, if you are comfortable with a distance trade, good luck. If you do choose to do this - remember - you must still ensure you are complying with all other ATF and Georgia rules regarding gun sales - min. age, eligibility, etc.

Mugsy

Back
Top Bottom