• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Supreme Court rules on straw purchases

Think about how ridiculous this plays out in everyday life.

"Dad, I was thinking about buying a pistol for self defense. I'd like to get a Glock, but I'm not making enough money at work to justify it. Do you think you and Mom could help me out for Christmas?"

"Son, we'd be happy to. That's a really wise decision, and now that you're 21, let's get you down to the courthouse and get you that carry permit." Your Mom and I will help you get the gun as an early Chrimstas gift, but we only had $250 set aside for your present, so the rest is your contribution. You can pay us back from your next paycheck."

Dad just described a felony.

Is this how we want our society to function?

And the situation you describe is actually exactly what transpired in this case if you think about it. The buyers "gift" happened to be the LE discount he was entitled to. Moral argument of his use of that discount not withstanding, that's why he purchased it and the uncle did not. Now you have to define what a "gift" legally is.

And the situation you describe is actually exactly what transpired in this case if you think about it. The buyers "gift" happened to be the LE discount he was entitled to. Moral argument of his use of that discount not withstanding, that's why he purchased it and the uncle did not. Now you have to define what a "gift" legally is.

That's a brilliant insight.

The defense should have added that argument to its case. Change the outcome? Unlikely, given the politics.

Jack O A T:

While the ultimate goal of the law is to interdict and discourage prohibited persons from getting guns from FFL dealers,

I see it as "While the ultimate goal of the law WAS to interdict and discourage prohibited persons from getting guns from FFl dealers...." I'm not so sure the original intent WAS for that either...They have always wanted to chip away at our 2A. I really do wish you were right, but I do not see this as a court hearing to agree on something that already existed...There would be no point to that. I see it as a way to further sidestep our legislative branch and intentionally misinterpret our constitution once again so that the executive branch can shove its weight on uninformed citizens. I have not noticed this being a huge news story. It was up and running for a couple hours yesterday and now it seems the story has been squashed...I wonder why...Yes I'm pessimistic towards this administration and for good reason. Seems they are hell bent to break our laws on a daily basis.

That's the way it should be. Buy your own gun, don't have someone else do it for you.

If I see a rare gun in a shop that I know my buddy will love, what is wrong with picking it up for him?

My little brother and I call each other all the time when we find rare bottles of bourbon. Why should guns be any different?

If I see a rare gun in a shop that I know my buddy will love, what is wrong with picking it up for him?

My little brother and I call each other all the time when we find rare bottles of bourbon. Why should guns be any different?
Because they are scary. And obviously your little brother (or you) is a felon.

The best way to keep criminals from possessing firearms is to execute them.
They will not be repeat offenders and most of their peers will conform to the law, but that's not what it's all about.

The problem is there is really nothing done to a convicted felon if they are caught with a firearm, unless they have a little money, then the law will extort as much as possible before turning them back out on society.
Probation violation is not serving the remainder in jail, it's just some added monies to stay out of jail, yet remain on probation.

Disarm the people and you will have total control.

The best way to keep criminals from possessing firearms is to execute them.
They will not be repeat offenders and most of their peers will conform to the law, but that's not what it's all about.

The problem is there is really nothing done to a convicted felon if they are caught with a firearm, unless they have a little money, then the law will extort as much as possible before turning them back out on society.
Probation violation is not serving the remainder in jail, it's just some added monies to stay out of jail, yet remain on probation.

Disarm the people and you will have total control.

lol, the sandbox wants you back. It has been PROVEN that capital punishment is not a deterrent. Giving the government the power to execute all people that they deem criminals doesn't seem dangerous at all.

Back
Top Bottom