• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Supreme Court rules on straw purchases

Incarceration would prevent them from doing it again without giving the government the power to execute it's citizens, some of whom are not guilty of any crime.

they can kill other inmates and the correctional facility staff. plus there is the danger of escape or accidental release

they are guilty as they have been found guilty by a jury of their peers

lol, the sandbox wants you back. It has been PROVEN that capital punishment is not a deterrent. Giving the government the power to execute all people that they deem criminals doesn't seem dangerous at all.
I'm really not keen on getting into forum arguments, but this thread seems to be the exception.
Allow me to disagree. Our system of government doesn't condemn criminals to death. A supposedly impartial jury of their peers does. The reason execution isn't as effective as it could be is it is not used properly. Criminals know a death sentence is not necessarily that, but a sure ticket to decades of legal wrangling in a place they were going anyway. Make it just and make it fast. Then you'll have more people making better choices from the start of their lives. Will you still have to execute people? Yep. Some people will never get it and are intent on causing as much pain on humanity as possible until they are in the ground. Why prolong their misery? What the "numbers" given as relating to deterrent will never show is the number of people who choose a better life path when they know Mr Sparky lies at the end of one of them. Given offender recidivism rates, prison terms aren't much of a deterrent either. What should we do? Let them carry on as they please?

Comparing the American legal system to sharia law is like comparing an ICBM to a slingshot. Our system isn't perfect. It will always need and be in search of improvement, but name a better system on the planet. Ultimate justice is not obtainable on this Earth, but our system is not comparable to a theocratic dictatorship who's stated goal is to turn the worlds population into its subject by violence, rape, and murder of those who refuse to believe.

Now, what was this thread about?

I'm really not keen on getting into forum arguments, but this thread seems to be the exception.
Allow me to disagree. Our system of government doesn't condemn criminals to death. A supposedly impartial jury of their peers does. The reason execution isn't as effective as it could be is it is not used properly. Criminals know a death sentence is not necessarily that, but a sure ticket to decades of legal wrangling in a place they were going anyway. Make it just and make it fast. Then you'll have more people making better choices from the start of their lives. Will you still have to execute people? Yep. Some people will never get it and are intent on causing as much pain on humanity as possible until they are in the ground. Why prolong their misery? What the "numbers" given as relating to deterrent will never show is the number of people who choose a better life path when they know Mr Sparky lies at the end of one of them. Given offender recidivism rates, prison terms aren't much of a deterrent either. What should we do? Let them carry on as they please?

Comparing the American legal system to sharia law is like comparing an ICBM to a slingshot. Our system isn't perfect. It will always need and be in search of improvement, but name a better system on the planet. Ultimate justice is not obtainable on this Earth, but our system is not comparable to a theocratic dictatorship who's stated goal is to turn the worlds population into its subject by violence, rape, and murder of those who refuse to believe.

Now, what was this thread about?

Not the American legal system, the death penalty. It seems like you've cherry picked some phrases, morphed them into a defensible position for yourself, and thrown in some catch phrases rather than addressing the actual issue.

At least I understand why you don't regularly engage in debate.

lol, the sandbox wants you back. It has been PROVEN that capital punishment is not a deterrent. Giving the government the power to execute all people that they deem criminals doesn't seem dangerous at all.

Because we don't do it often enough.

Seems like a good way to prevent multiple recurrences.

QUOTE] It's also a great way to eliminate the opportunity for any chance of rehabilitation. Not everyone that comes out of prison goes back to a life of crime. Would you eliminate that possibility for all of them.... out of fear? Have you ever ****ed up, learned your lesson and moved on? That's a basic human condition.

Not the American legal system, the death penalty. It seems like you've cherry picked some phrases, morphed them into a defensible position for yourself, and thrown in some catch phrases rather than addressing the actual issue.

At least I understand why you don't regularly engage in debate.
Yes. Because of responses like that to a fairly well thought out post. Good day.

Yes. Because of responses like that to a fairly well thought out post. Good day.

By well thought out you mean, "taking my critique of the death penalty" to mean "the American Justice system sucks". Then yeah. Point proven.

Back
Top Bottom