• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Surf fish rod and reel, what do yall use

If you go to the Gulf State Park Pier there will be locals willing to gaff or net your catch. Your Surf gear will be of little use. Most use spinning tackle for the Spanish Mackeral, trout and redfish, a 4000 series reel is plenty. For Kings and Cobia and the occasional Tarpon, 8 to 10 spinning rigs with 5000 to 6500 reels. These fish are often caught using LYs live lined. You can catch your bait on Sabaki rigs dropped down by the pilings, a light rod works best for this.
Cool thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll be bringing a few different size poles.

Cool thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll be bringing a few different size poles.

A couple of pics to give an idea of what you will see others using.
Note: the Pier is 1500 feet long, thus all of the carts.
DSCN0101.JPG
DSCN0101.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0102.JPG
    DSCN0102.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 14
I use a 13 ft rod with an penn 85 and a smaller rod with a 65. I usually will use 14 or maybe 17 lb line. Smaller line will cut the waves better on the surf. Bring a flea rake or buy one. Sand fleas are hard to beat for pomps and reds. Low tide is better for catching fleas I think.

I use a 13 ft rod with an penn 85 and a smaller rod with a 65. I usually will use 14 or maybe 17 lb line. Smaller line will cut the waves better on the surf. Bring a flea rake or buy one. Sand fleas are hard to beat for pomps and reds. Low tide is better for catching fleas I think.
I was thinking about using braided line just so I just cast farther and increase the poundage a little bit.

A couple of pics to give an idea of what you will see others using.
Note: the Pier is 1500 feet long, thus all of the carts.View attachment 827387 View attachment 827387
I have a fold up wagon I'll bring, it will work great for all hauling all the stuff to the far end. I'll have 3 kids with me so they will have a pile of stuff each I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom