• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from conventional oil to synthetic?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
There are a bazillion threads, a kajillion sites on this topic, but no answer I can find in the first 4 sentences. I don't have the time to read 52 pages on one thread to find my answer.

I have a 2014 Oldsmabuick with 19,XXX miles. Not sure what oil is in it now. If it is conventional (how do I know?), can I switch to synthetic?

If I ask any oil change place, the answer WILL ALWAYS be...sure you can switch...come on down, we can do it right now!

It probably already has a synthetic blend in it. That’s what most dealerships use. That’s what I would recommend unless your car calls specifically for synthetic.

You can switch, no problem. It is questionable you will ever see any monetary benefit due to the higher cost.

You WILL have less mechanical wear, but today's modern lubricants allow engines to go 250,000 on the cheap stuff. You will have to rebuild the transmission a time or two to get that out of your vehicle. Most owners do not keep a vehicle that long, esp if the tranny croaks.

The only issue I've seen - an engine that has been run exclusively on conventional oil will often develop leaks after the switch to synthetic - something about the 'cold turkey' switch affects the seals.

This happened to me, but maybe it was general wear? I switched to synthetic oil with quiet a few miles on my 4 runner, not soon after I developed a valve cover gasket leak. Oils fought , don't know . But I noticed a slightly better fuel mileage after switching .

Back
Top Bottom