• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from conventional oil to synthetic?

Yep you can switch. Hurts your wallet more. Can’t comment on how it affects your engine. I know you can go Longer between oil changes.

Mobil 1, Pennzoil,Castrol...high quality top rated synthetic oils can be had for $15 or less per 5 quart jug. Just check the manufacturer rebate website. They run special rebates all the time. I pay the same,or even less in some cases to change my own oil and use synthetic vs conventional

BITOG junkie for 10 years here. I have used syn oils made by Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol, Motul, G-Oil, QState, Pennzoil and few others I cannot remember.

The only issue I've seen - an engine that has been run exclusively on conventional oil will often develop leaks after the switch to synthetic - something about the 'cold turkey' switch affects the seals.
Synthetic oils have better additive packages, better cleaning abilities, so if there was a weak spot in the seal that was plugged by oil sludge, they will clean it out. Some of the Group V syn oils are esther-based, so they have natural cleaning abilities even without the additives. If it is a concern, use PAO or Hydrocraked synthetic oils instead.

Synthetic is thinner and will leak where conventional oils just seep.
Shouldn’t effect a 14
NOT true.
5w-30 dino and 5w-30 synthetic are the same viscosity. You will have more variations in viscosity AKA "thinness" between 5w-30 dino oils of the different manufacturers than dino and synthetic oils of the same weight and make.

You can switch, no problem. It is questionable you will ever see any monetary benefit due to the higher cost.
I have never paid more than $3 a quart for synthetic. Buy smart, use rebates.
I have about 60 qrts of syn oil in my stash now, bought from $1 to $2 a quart, not counting Idemitsu 0w-20 that I got for 50 cents a quart on close out.

For rebate info: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/33/1/Product_Rebates,_Sales_and_Pro
Pennzoil, $10 off 5 quarts, http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promo...motion-9.html#iframe=L2RpeS9uYXRpb25hbDE4Lw==
Pennzoil Platinum is $22 at Amazon, $12 after rebate, $2.40 a quart.

Contrary to most beliefs viscosity is not thickness.
You take a jug of regular oil and a jug of synthetic lay them both on their sides and the synthetic will flow out faster. A slight leak will become more substantial with synthetics and has been that way since before they started adding all the extras.

Good synthetic is far more superior in every way, as long as you don’t leak or burn oil.
Synthetic will burn faster in a worn engine than regular oil. So if the motor uses oil than it’s not cost effective to run as you will use more at a higher cost.
In my race stuff I run synthetic or syn blend in everything. But I change the oil every few races and it doesn’t matter how much it burns.

I’ve tested newer and older engines in customer and my own cars for decades and what I’m saying remains a constant.

There are a bazillion threads, a kajillion sites on this topic, but no answer I can find in the first 4 sentences. I don't have the time to read 52 pages on one thread to find my answer.

I have a 2014 Oldsmabuick with 19,XXX miles. Not sure what oil is in it now. If it is conventional (how do I know?), can I switch to synthetic?

If I ask any oil change place, the answer WILL ALWAYS be...sure you can switch...come on down, we can do it right now!

My 2006 Tahoe had 101xxx miles on it when I switched to Amsoil, my mileage increased by .5 and I only change my oil once a year.

Back
Top Bottom