• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from conventional oil to synthetic?

I do believe that all the comment with the oil leaks are do to the synthetic oils clean the inside of your engine. I guess I lucked because I had no leaks after switching. All I notice is after switching I did have to add a little oil once in awhile. Amsoil will tell you that will happen

IMG_20180209_123131.jpg
In a high mileage vehicle, or even in an older low mileage vehicle, the seals can begin to degrade. If you use the 'high mileage' oil, it contains conditioners, to soften, and swell the seals, thus possible preventing leaks. It's also formulated to reduce oil 'burn-off'.

The only issue I've seen - an engine that has been run exclusively on conventional oil will often develop leaks after the switch to synthetic - something about the 'cold turkey' switch affects the seals.

High mileage engines I have a buddy switch to synthetic. Cleaned out all the gunk from years past real well from cheap oil. clogged his oil pump. By Bye motor. Have heard about the seals issue. Some oils are blend and might be good bet. Not a mechanic. Just by talking to friends from decades of being aroung mechanics.

Contrary to most beliefs viscosity is not thickness. You take a jug of regular oil and a jug of synthetic lay them both on their sides and the synthetic will flow out faster.

Newsflash: Pennzoil oil is all wax and will destroy your engine/sarcasm off.
Old myths die hard.

So 5W synthetic oil is not really a really a 5W oil? REALLY? Weight is a range, not a given number. I can find 5w-30 dino oil that will flow better at 40C than another brand's 5w-30 syn, just by looking at their test numbers. I will take manufacturers and PIOA tests over a guy flipping over 2 jars of oil.

Spend some time on Bob Is the Oil Guy, please.

Here is an odd experience for you. Years ago I had a 96 Silverado with about 150,000 miles or so on it and decided to switch over to synthetic oil. I knew the previous owner and he never used synthetic oil in it. I also switched to a K&N oil filter when I changed the oil to synthetic. I had about 1000 miles or so on the oil change. I started my truck one cool morning and it started to knock really bad. I immediately switched it off and my words would have embarrassed a sailor.
I called my buddy who owns a shop and told him what happened and about me switching to synthetic oil. He said with that many miles on my truck he would not recommend changing from conventional oil to synthetic oil. He said that it will pick up all of the dirty crap in the motor and in the bottom of the oil pan and mix with the oil, thicken it and sometimes clog up the strainer in the oil pan. He told me to drain the oil, change the filter, put conventional oil back in it and put a quart of Marvels Mystery oil in it where it sits. He told me to turn the motor over several times during the day and then let it sit overnight. I did exactly what he said. I started the truck the next morning and it never knocked again. I never had any trouble out of it after that. I kept the truck until it had over 200,000 miles on it when I sold it.
Evidently the synthetic oil had picked up all of the dirty crap in the motor and oil pan and thickened so much that it clogged the strainer not allowing any oil to go through the motor.
Even with all of the mechanical experience that I have, all of this blew my mind completely.

Ya but all the bull **** that goes with it. Rather pay moer an go to an auto store.

Fine theory until the shop forgets to put new oil in after they drain the old. Happened to me at the dealership that sold my wife a brand new Honda and gave her free oil changes...that’s the last time someone other than I changed the oil in our cars.

Back
Top Bottom