• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from Glock to Wheelgun for church protection team

I have a model 31 that I have practiced shooting left handed extensively. I've been known to carry a .38 in my right pocket and a .32 in my left when in dubious parts.
I have a couple of revolvers in 32 Long. One has a 7 round cylinder. One is a Magnum. So I need to find some of that Buffalo Bore 32 H&R Magnum. Out of all the stuff I own my Mom was only comfortable shooting an old RG snub in 32 Long. So that's what she carries now. As I already said...it's better than pepper spray.

Attachments

• 1686092617992264734112490924215.jpg
    1686092617992264734112490924215.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 6
I have carried a Glock 30S in .45 ACP for quite a few years. I am on my church self defense team and have qualified well with the Glock. I recently found, due to advancing age and lack of strength in my primary hand that I had difficulties clearing a stove pipe jam and then found I could not reload a magazine even using the mag loader. This is a serious issue for me, if I can't use the tool correctly then I need to consider a different tool.

The answer seems to be a wheel gun, probably .38 with a 2 or 3 inch barrel but has to be carried in an IWB holster and easily concealed, as my Glock is. I can carry multiple speed loaders in .38 with no issues (I currently carry 2 spare mags for the Glock.) The biggest question is, since most shooting opportunities/requirements are going to be less than 20 feet as measured from my station to the main door, how much difference is there in accuracy between a 2 inch or 3 inch barrel? I am pretty good with my backup .38 but now looking at maybe having to use that as a primary. Probably not going to .357 due to possible over penetraton and excess noise. If you were betting someone's life on your accuracy, would you bet on a 2 inch barrel, 3 inch or 4 inch (probably not feasible due to concealment issues).

So, it comes down to being able to man my position in a professional manner with a tool I can use, or give up my position if I can't man the position accurately.

I would advise considering the following-

1. Glock 19/45/48 9mm with the add on slide grips that aid in slide racking. The fellow above shared a photo of his on a 43X.
You are already familiar with the size of the 19 as it’s almost exactly the same footprint as the Glock 30.

2. S&W Equilizer in 9mm.

3. 7 shot Ruger GP100 or Smith wheel gun 4” barrel with speed strips or a speed loader in the best secure spot you can readily access with your off hand.

Of note,
We wear vests over Outside Waste-band/Conventional holsters. Our long-tenured members know who we are but we do not at all advertise/ draw attention away from the main focus.

All this assumes you can still qualify annually or bi-annually typically as required by insurance.

Train with it until you are comfortable & train some more.

What’s your general location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a couple of revolvers in 32 Long. One has a 7 round cylinder. One is a Magnum. So I need to find some of that Buffalo Bore 32 H&R Magnum. Out of all the stuff I own my Mom was only comfortable shooting an old RG snub in 32 Long. So that's what she carries now. As I already said...it's better than pepper spray.
I have a small collection of I frame S&W in .32 Long. Occasionally I carry them out and about.

Of course, the keyboard cowboys pooh-pooh them, I should be packing a double stack .45 (of which I have one)

I have a standing offer to let me shoot them with my .32 and when it's empty, they can shoot back ( it being so ineffective and all). To date, no one has taken me up on the challenge.

aint nothing wrong with a wheel gun, I am carrying one in the gun store right now. But I work from an office and my ar is 5 feet away. You still want to be able to stay in a fight for as long as possible so why not have 15 rounds with a far easier reload than a 5/6 shot wheelgun with a very slow reload that can be far easier to botch when adrenaline is pumping and that cortisol is rushing to the brain. If your job is church security you need to focus on being overgunned and tactically sound for the sake of the others who are unarmed, and throw away that fudd lore.

Not specifically on topic, however remember it is not only what you carry, but how you carry.
In this instance, the man trying to draw was killed before he could. I think he would have had a better chance with a cross draw instead of having to reach back under his coat.

aint nothing wrong with a wheel gun, I am carrying one in the gun store right now. But I work from an office and my ar is 5 feet away. You still want to be able to stay in a fight for as long as possible so why not have 15 rounds with a far easier reload than a 5/6 shot wheelgun with a very slow reload that can be far easier to botch when adrenaline is pumping and that cortisol is rushing to the brain. If your job is church security you need to focus on being overgunned and tactically sound for the sake of the others who are unarmed, and throw away that fudd lore.
Meh, if the adrenaline and stress is so bad then you won’t be able to function.

Practice correct draw shoot and reload, when SHTF you will fall back to what you trained at.

Vast majority of encounters are ended at a couple of hits.

I’d rather you had a solid hit in a vital area with a 22 than several in and around non vital areas with something “bigger”

Carry the largest caliber you can reliably shoot, carry the gun you are most the competent and reliable.

Hit is a hit, but you cannot miss fast enough to stop a threat.

Hit is a hit, but you cannot miss fast enough to stop a threat.
I agree with the first part...but...even a miss is a deterrent. If the aggressor isn't expecting resistance, and they usually aren't, even rounds flying towards them is going to change their course of action...and while it may not "stop" them, it should "slow" them.

But you're right. Aim small.

the only thing we can control is putting in the effort to training. the parasympathetic nervous system has two responses fight or flight, so hopefully he puts the reps in to fight. So why limit himself to 5-7 rounds...

Back
Top Bottom