• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from Glock to Wheelgun for church protection team

I recommend staying home or changing churches. If a church needs a "defense team". Pretty sure that's ****ed up.
I attended a church in a particularly run down part of Memphis while I was there. All the men who took up the offering were open carrying. Makes me wonder if they got hit before?

I went to my LGS and they were very accommodating and let me try out most of the pistols in the case. I settled on a Ruger Security 9 with 15+1 rounds in 9mm. It racks easily enough but the magazine is a bit of work to load but I have ordered a mag loader (used my Glock loader to fill the mag). It handles well, comes on point easy enough and I can hit what I'm aiming at at 20 to 25 yards consistently. I have spare magazine and carry 2 15 rounds on my belt and they are much lighter than the 2 .45ACP 10 round mags I carried before. I'm happy with the change.

I am still looking for a .38 snub to use as a backup and will have to test out some holsters to see what works best for middle of my back (other team members are using ankle holster but I'm not impressed by that and if you cross your legs you flash everyone with a glimpse of your pistol.

Thanks for all the good advice and if you are a member of a church, it would be a good idea to approach an elder and ask them what their plan is in case of active shooter or nut case and if you might be interested in joining the team to help protect your friends and neighbors.
May be urban legend, but I’ve heard a MOB holstered gun can fracture your spine if you fall (or are knocked) on it on a hard surface. And ankle holsters, besides being a PITA to draw from are the easiest to spot if someone’s looking.
Mexican carry for deep conceal.

I do not want to sound disrespectful but clearing a stove pipe in your primary hand is probably due to the weakness in your primary hand. A big component in carrying a gun in an environment where you are tasked with protecting unarmed people is retaining the firearm. Giving up a firearm to an unarmed or poorly armed attacker is the worst thing that could happen to you. Most attackers are going to be younger. How would you feel if an attacker took your weapon and killed people?

I do not want to sound disrespectful but clearing a stove pipe in your primary hand is probably due to the weakness in your primary hand. A big component in carrying a gun in an environment where you are tasked with protecting unarmed people is retaining the firearm. Giving up a firearm to an unarmed or poorly armed attacker is the worst thing that could happen to you. Most attackers are going to be younger. How would you feel if an attacker took your weapon and killed people?
The very reason the OP was considering switching to a revolver.

IMG_2651.jpeg

I forgot cowboy. It is impossible to take a revolver away from from someone who has disability in their primary hand to the point that they cannot rack a slide. Brilliant point.

May be urban legend, but I’ve heard a MOB holstered gun can fracture your spine if you fall (or are knocked) on it on a hard surface. And ankle holsters, besides being a PITA to draw from are the easiest to spot if someone’s looking.
Mexican carry for deep conceal.
i mean forged steel to the base of the spine may hurt. Sphincter carry for that real deep carry

I shoot revolvers well.
But they're not easy to shoot fast using the trigger double-action.

Last year I sold my 2" bbl. S&W 637 and got an older 3" barreled model 37, and it has been much easier to point shoot or do accurate aimed fire.

If I were you, I'd consider the Shield EZ, especially the .380 version that has a ridiculously easy slide to rack. Those guns have nice light (long single action) triggers.
Late to the party, but if you are on church detail, I assume a sports jacket is not out of place. I have carried a Model 36, 37, 49 in the inside pocket of a sports/suit coat for decades in one of those pocket holsters. won't print, won't get hung up, will always be available Took them a lot of places you wouldn't suspect.

On occasions I have carried two on them, one in the coat pocket and the other in pants pocket in the same holster. The 49 is my favorite "dress up" gun because there is so little that can go wrong with it.

I believe it's Hornady that makes a 125 gr. short barrel load.

I'm a big wheelgun fan, but I have played with the Shield EZ, and I am really impressed with the ease of operation, but I still would go with the wheelgun for simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom