• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

tactical shotgun

jc

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
i am thinking about getting a new shotgun and want to go tactical this time. i was just wanting to hear some opinions on a couple of things. sights: bead, rifle or ghost ring. butt stock: regular or speedfeed. this gun will be for home protection and just because i want one. i miss having one since my last one was stole in 1996.

I am pretty simplistic when it comes to shotguns for HD. Bead sight, standard stock, no PG, no rails, no lights. Nothing fancy, just a tool with which to blast things in the face.

I am pretty simplistic when it comes to shotguns for HD. Bead sight, standard stock, no PG, no rails, no lights. Nothing fancy, just a tool with which to blast things in the face.

+10 JJ, Im simplistic also and can tell you the more crap you have on your gun for it to be "Tacti-cool", more weight and crap to go wrong.

Roll with a 18.5" barrell, 5+1 with pistol grip (optional folding shoulder stock) will give you enough clearance around doorway's and halls, but with enough "oh crap" factor coming from the perp. If you want to add a "reflex" front sight and a side saddle carrier incase you have to reload, do that but much more it turns into a "combat" gun and the purpose is nilch

I am on the opposite from jsquared on a few things when it comes to an HD shotgun. For an HD shotgun I do not think ghost ring sights are the way to go they are just simply over kill and really you are spending money you just don't need installing them on a HD gun. I stick to a bead sight. My personal choice is the XS Big Dot sight $60. It gives you a white outline bead with a tritium dot for night time use. I also think that a light is highly important. You have to be able to identify before you fire. Shotguns are heavy so holding a light in one hand and a shotgun in the other while is possible I have found is not practical. For this reason I am a fan of the Surefire forends. Though they are a little expensive. A less expensive alternative that I have used comes from either L&M http://brigadearmory.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=415 or Elzetta http://www.elzetta.com/zsmFAQ.htm these options will allow you to mount a small hand held light to you shotgun. I also really like extensions. I personally use the Wilson combat +2 with the the side mounted sling plate. The reason is this extension over the factory Remington extension comes with a Wolff extra power magazine spring and a high visibility follower which is much better than the stock orange follower you get from Remington which has been known to crack and split over time.

So really as long as your gun has a capacity of 6 or 7, a weapon light and a good day/night sight system you pretty much have everything you need for HD. I use a sling on my HD gun but that is an issue that is debated over some people think slings will get caught on doorknobs and bed posts I have never had this problem but I have had the problem of where to put my gun. So I have a sling on my gun. I will tell you sling is optional I guess.

I am on the opposite from jsquared on a few things when it comes to an HD shotgun. For an HD shotgun I do not think ghost ring sights are the way to go they are just simply over kill and really you are spending money you just don't need installing them on a HD gun. I stick to a bead sight. My personal choice is the XS Big Dot sight $60. It gives you a white outline bead with a tritium dot for night time use. I also think that a light is highly important. You have to be able to identify before you fire. Shotguns are heavy so holding a light in one hand and a shotgun in the other while is possible I have found is not practical. For this reason I am a fan of the Surefire forends. Though they are a little expensive. A less expensive alternative that I have used comes from either L&M http://brigadearmory.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=415 or Elzetta http://www.elzetta.com/zsmFAQ.htm these options will allow you to mount a small hand held light to you shotgun. I also really like extensions. I personally use the Wilson combat +2 with the the side mounted sling plate. The reason is this extension over the factory Remington extension comes with a Wolff extra power magazine spring and a high visibility follower which is much better than the stock orange follower you get from Remington which has been known to crack and split over time.

So really as long as your gun has a capacity of 6 or 7, a weapon light and a good day/night sight system you pretty much have everything you need for HD. I use a sling on my HD gun but that is an issue that is debated over some people think slings will get caught on doorknobs and bed posts I have never had this problem but I have had the problem of where to put my gun. So I have a sling on my gun. I will tell you sling is optional I guess.

JJ didnt say anything about a ghost ring, he said a bead sight just like you mentioned. A light on the gun is nice, but if the JC is not trained on it, he could accidenly blind himself or give away his position. In a home, you should not need a light on your shotgun, but a cheap one ould work just as good as an expensive one. To each their own, but from personal expierence, it is a waste unless you are goint into unfamiliar rooms and in your house, you really should only maintain security until cops arrive and not leave your "safe room" if you have one

Yeah I can see where a light would be useful for sure, its not practical to even think of one-handing a shotgun and fumbling for a light at the same time. I am with Will though, my shotgun is my last defense, Im not going to be clearing rooms with it (or any other gun for that matter), Im going to be hiding behind my bed with it pointed chest-level at my bedroom door waiting for the sirens to show up.

I never did say JJ said anything about ghost ring sights. Matter a fact I said that we were on the opposite on a "few" things I never went into specifics. I never quoted him on anything or said he said anything. As for not needing a light on your gun or that a cheap one is just as good as quality one. The majority of firearms instructors in the country disagree with you. A light in your home together with your weapon is second to quality ammunition when it comes to home defense. Being able to identify before you fire is a must. Otherwise there is a very real chance you can hurt or kill someone you love because you thought they were an intruder. It has happened plenty of times before. The needing a quality light on your gun versus a cheapo light debate I will just say this. Do you roll out of your house with Winchester White Box or do you carry quality JHP ammo in your carry gun? If you carry quality JHP why? I know why I do, because when the time comes I need something that I know I can depend on that will work without excuses or question. Your light, your firearm all of your gear should be held to the same standard. No exceptions. Cutting corners to save a few bucks when lives are at risk is just stupid.

Are you looking for something like this?

i53.tinypic.com_29w5pc2.jpg

I never did say JJ said anything about ghost ring sights. Matter a fact I said that we were on the opposite on a "few" things I never went into specifics. I never quoted him on anything or said he said anything. As for not needing a light on your gun or that a cheap one is just as good as quality one. The majority of firearms instructors in the country disagree with you. A light in your home together with your weapon is second to quality ammunition when it comes to home defense. Being able to identify before you fire is a must. Otherwise there is a very real chance you can hurt or kill someone you love because you thought they were an intruder. It has happened plenty of times before. The needing a quality light on your gun versus a cheapo light debate I will just say this. Do you roll out of your house with Winchester White Box or do you carry quality JHP ammo in your carry gun? If you carry quality JHP why? I know why I do, because when the time comes I need something that I know I can depend on that will work without excuses or question. Your light, your firearm all of your gear should be held to the same standard. No exceptions. Cutting corners to save a few bucks when lives are at risk is just stupid.

oh ok, it just sounded ( or read) the way you wrote you were saying JJ mentioned Ghost ring sights, when you disagreed with it, since he did not mention it, sorry.

On the other hand, I dont know about your house, but I have "night lights" througout so I can see without having to turn on main lights, one so I can get up and go to the bathroom and not trip (getting old sucks) and the other is so I can see who is walking at night and it will cast a shadow. I know where my family is, If something wakes me up, I go and check on my kids across the hall first, then if they are in bed, the wife is in bed it is "Go Time".

Im not talking about a Kmart light, but something resonable from Brownell's or Cheaperthandirt will work just as good as a $100 light for the average Joe that does not use his shotgun everyday. Now my courses that I teach for tactical shotgun, you will need a quality light as 100rnds of shotshell will destroy a cheap-o light. A light does work well for tactical situations, I never said he shouldnt, but if he is untrained, he could accidently grab the pressure switch and blind himself or let the intruder know the homeowner is awake and armed, thus ruining the element of surprise and cause more issues for the homeowner. Yes, you should identify the threat before you react, but you should also have situational awarness; would you grab your shotgun and then "clear" the house to find your child making themselve chocolate milk ? or would you check on their location and then make sure that whatever caused the noise is a threat (all family members are accounted for) and then proceed to whatever family plan you have ? That was my point

Back
Top Bottom