• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talk me into a Dillon 650

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Seriously considering a Dillon 650. Currently running a Lee 1000... at least when its running. I have reloaded about 2000 rounds on it and it has not even been been a straightforward affair. The primer system is ****ing atrocious. It pulls powder reliably and seats to proper OAL 100 percent of the time but I can't even use the auto case feeder due to stoppages at the primer position. The Dillon is very pricey, but I enjoy reloading and tinkering with loads. The powder dripping system on the Dillon looks light years ahead for minute powder adjustements when working up loads.

Guess I am just trying to justify a new reloader when the Lee does work with enough finagling, time, and patience.

The 550 or the 650?FAQ Top
Although one of the tougher comparative decisions, I seldom recommend the 650 over the 550 as your first progressive machine, and even less as your first reloading machine in general. The 650, w/Casefeeder and auto-indexing, is a complex machine compared to the 550. However, a few exceptions for the 650 might be:

You're shooting USPSA or IDPA pistol competition, or are planning to.
You're an experienced reloader looking to upgrade from another brand.
Plan to use the machine to load one or two calibers in high volume.
Are not only tired of messing with your current piece of junk, but in general, would prefer to spend more time either shooting or hanging out with your wife or kids than reloading.
Price is not an object.
Your're not afraid of a complex machine.
You usually know if you are ready for the 650. Almost always, the 550 is a better choice over the 650 because of the reasons mentioned in the Sq Deal vs 550 comparison above.

Sill not sure: 550 vs. 650; or 650 vs. 1050
Here's another way to help make your decision: How many rounds you will load in one caliber before switching to another caliber? (Apply this logic to ALL the calibers you will load on the press.)

Rounds you will load before changing to another caliber:

550: 100 - 200+ rounds
650: 1000 - 2000+ rounds
1050: 5000+ rounds
It's so easy to switch calibers on the 550 - if you just load 100 or 200 rounds, you won't mind changing to load another caliber. On the 650 however, I wouldn't want to change calibers unless I'd loaded a minimum of 1000 - 2000 rounds. And on the 1050, that number would be 5000 or more rounds, at the absolute minimum.

If this will be my first press, is the 650 too complicated? (Answer opens new window in my forum.)

If you think the 550 is best for you, but feel you'd really like a 650, especially if you have friends with 650's who are pressuring you to buy one - check this discussion in my forum (Weed through all the "buy from Brian" stuff at the beginning to get to tazmo65's post.) (opens new window)

If you are leaning toward the 650 (over the 550) because of the Powder Check System - Check this thread in my Forum.

This is from another forum

I have a 550 . The only thing I will say is that it is not the best at metering some extruded powders . polishing the powder bars helps

The 550 or the 650?FAQ Top
Although one of the tougher comparative decisions, I seldom recommend the 650 over the 550 as your first progressive machine, and even less as your first reloading machine in general. The 650, w/Casefeeder and auto-indexing, is a complex machine compared to the 550. However, a few exceptions for the 650 might be:

You're shooting USPSA or IDPA pistol competition, or are planning to.
You're an experienced reloader looking to upgrade from another brand.
Plan to use the machine to load one or two calibers in high volume.
Are not only tired of messing with your current piece of junk, but in general, would prefer to spend more time either shooting or hanging out with your wife or kids than reloading.
Price is not an object.
Your're not afraid of a complex machine.
You usually know if you are ready for the 650. Almost always, the 550 is a better choice over the 650 because of the reasons mentioned in the Sq Deal vs 550 comparison above.

Sill not sure: 550 vs. 650; or 650 vs. 1050
Here's another way to help make your decision: How many rounds you will load in one caliber before switching to another caliber? (Apply this logic to ALL the calibers you will load on the press.)

Rounds you will load before changing to another caliber:

550: 100 - 200+ rounds
650: 1000 - 2000+ rounds
1050: 5000+ rounds
It's so easy to switch calibers on the 550 - if you just load 100 or 200 rounds, you won't mind changing to load another caliber. On the 650 however, I wouldn't want to change calibers unless I'd loaded a minimum of 1000 - 2000 rounds. And on the 1050, that number would be 5000 or more rounds, at the absolute minimum.

If this will be my first press, is the 650 too complicated? (Answer opens new window in my forum.)

If you think the 550 is best for you, but feel you'd really like a 650, especially if you have friends with 650's who are pressuring you to buy one - check this discussion in my forum (Weed through all the "buy from Brian" stuff at the beginning to get to tazmo65's post.) (opens new window)

If you are leaning toward the 650 (over the 550) because of the Powder Check System - Check this thread in my Forum.

This is from another forum

Coming from a Lee 1000, I'm ready to step into bigger machine I think. Rather buy once cry once and be done with it.

If you have worked up a load you like, the 650 is the way to go.

I have a Lee single stage, a 550 and a 650

I use my 550 for load development and 650 to crank out loads I like to use. The 650 is a great machine, but isn't what you want if you are going to be changing powder charges all the time.

Hey Guys,

Seriously considering a Dillon 650. Currently running a Lee 1000... at least when its running. I have reloaded about 2000 rounds on it and it has not even been been a straightforward affair. The primer system is ****ing atrocious. It pulls powder reliably and seats to proper OAL 100 percent of the time but I can't even use the auto case feeder due to stoppages at the primer position. The Dillon is very pricey, but I enjoy reloading and tinkering with loads. The powder dripping system on the Dillon looks light years ahead for minute powder adjustements when working up loads.

Guess I am just trying to justify a new reloader when the Lee does work with enough finagling, time, and patience.

With "enough finagling time and patience", a Dillon 650 will work as well. Changing from lare primer to small primer can be very entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom