• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

RexProcer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
2   0
Reaction score
I did a search and found nothing on this so my question is as follows. This can be your advice as a CCW, if you are a lawyer (would love an opinion from one on the subject), really anything. Just looking for opinions/advice.

Anyway, something happens. You have to use your weapon for what is a cut and dry self defense case. Police come, do what they have to do, and of course question you at the scene or take you in to establish what happened. To you, it's obvious that you had no choice. Do you talk to the police without a lawyer there? I mean, even if its just completely cut and dry. Just to get it over with. Or do you wait for your lawyer and then explain what happened? Would it look at all incriminating if you weren't willing to talk right then and there in such a cut and dry case?

I know that if there is any question you would of course wait for your lawyer, but in a situation like above, what would the good people of ODT do? Like I said, I would love anyones input, but if a lawyer can chime in as well that would be amazing.

Any lawyer worth anything will always tell you to never talk to the police. Its what I will do even if its clear cut self defense have your lawyer present. Dont say a word until he or she arrives. end of story.

Besides in a situation like a self defense shooting adrenaline kicks in and your mind gets fuzzy your hearing all but goes away. if you immediately give a statement in a few hours when you calm down you will probably remember the whole situation better and can recount more accurately what happen. Those types of situations are not ones you want to have a changing story with.

Back
Top Bottom