• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus 85 Poly Protector

BamaBrad

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I am not a gunsmith but I can usually get things working or repaired but this revolver is a preacher friend of mine and I have gone over everything I know to see what is going on.

With the cylinder locked up, closed the cylinder still rotates. With the hammer back/down you can still spin the cylinder. I know it’s similar but different from the steel frame revolvers as the screws appear to take a key that has a hole milled out of the center. I’m not so sure it doesn’t take a part on the bottom of the frame to keep the cylinder from spinning. I posted a couple pictures for reference.
1ca8d7c225ec1a5d6628a486a55105ba.jpg

6e0ba5e93c146f83593295fa82cca89f.jpg

I was wanting to get this detent out and see if was gummed up?

I cant add the video showing the cylinder rotating while the hammer is resting and when it is cocked.
cca363945bc8b0b5bc724e38801f6675.jpg

This slot is where I was thinking a part went to keep the cylinder from rotating.

The slot you are referring to is for the Cylinder Stop (the part that keeps the cylinder from turning). It appears from the pic that the Cylinder Stop is there, but is stuck in the "down" position. That could be from a number of things, but my first vote would be for "some sort of debris is in there and blocking it". It doesn't appear to be a high-mileage gun, so I'd put "peening" or "wearing out" further down my investigative list.

The ease (and "cost")-of-repair would be the determining factor whether I sent it back to Bainbridge or repaired it myself....

The slot you are referring to is for the Cylinder Stop (the part that keeps the cylinder from turning). It appears from the pic that the Cylinder Stop is there, but is stuck in the "down" position. That could be from a number of things, but my first vote would be for "some sort of debris is in there and blocking it". It doesn't appear to be a high-mileage gun, so I'd put "peening" or "wearing out" further down my investigative list.

The ease (and "cost")-of-repair would be the determining factor whether I sent it back to Bainbridge or repaired it myself....

I have it disassembled and don’t think, if I had to send it back I could. I am trying to find a good schematic or video or possibly someone in the Carrollton or Newna are that is familiar with the assembly of this type revolver. I’m not sure if it the same as the steel frame models and I could go by that. I just want to make sure more or less that the springs go back in the right spot.

Back
Top Bottom