Tell me Why?

The reporting it stolen thing is the biggest problem. If I didn't buy it new, I usually take it out. Paranoid? Perhaps. We really don't know the people who we buy/sell/trade with. Even if we do, we don't know where they got it from, or the person before them. What's to stop someone from providing the original purchase material and claim it missing?

As for the bill of sale, I know of one person who has actually had ye olde ATF knock on their door after a gun they sold to a private party several years prior turned up at a crime scene. It ended up being sold two or three more times before ending up in the last person's possession. You say, "but there's no registry!" Well, you're right. But gun makers keep records of what distributors they ship to, distributors keep records of the stores they sell to, and your LGS keeps a log of who bought it. Since they have to keep the logs available for inspection at the drop of a hat, no warrant is needed. No, the guy didn't do anything wrong. No, he didn't have a bill of sale. Still, it was enough to be questioned for a few hours.

As for me, with the job I have now I can't really afford to NOT have a paper trail or cover my assets if I don't know you...

As for the bill of sale, I know of one person who has actually had ye olde ATF knock on their door after a gun they sold to a private party several years prior turned up at a crime scene. It ended up being sold two or three more times before ending up in the last person's possession. You say, "but there's no registry!" Well, you're right. But gun makers keep records of what distributors they ship to, distributors keep records of the stores they sell to, and your LGS keeps a log of who bought it. Since they have to keep the logs available for inspection at the drop of a hat, no warrant is needed. No, the guy didn't do anything wrong. No, he didn't have a bill of sale. Still, it was enough to be questioned for a few hours.

As for me, with the job I have now I can't really afford to NOT have a paper trail or cover my assets if I don't know you...

That's cool so long as you don't mind me sharing your personal information with anybody and everybody since I have no legal obligation to protect it.

Same people that won't sign a BOS.
As I have said before. I will sign a bill of sale, but afterwords I am going to make 1000 copies of your personal information and then drop one everywhere I go. I will also post your personal information all over Craigslist and sign you up for every free offer I can find. I figure since you are trying to operate a business, you can use all the free advertising you can get.
Awesome!

That's cool so long as you don't mind me sharing your personal information with anybody and everybody since I have no legal obligation to protect it.

I don't know what type of bill of sale you're signing, but mine have nothing more than a name, date, and I usually write the telephone number on it if I don't know you. That's not exactly the most personal information in my book since they're easy to obtain. It also contains a clause saying that I am the authorized owner of the firearm and something saying that you are able to legally purchase the firearm. It covers mine and yours. It ain't like someone is asking or two copies of photo ID, a social security number, and a certified birth certificate...

And just because you don't have an obligation to protect it doesn't mean you shouldn't. It might not be illegal to distribute it as you wish (unless you do so with malicious intent), but it's wide open in terms of civil action if said distribution causes monetary damages, distress, etc. Besides, most of the people I've dealt with are genuinely good people whom I've traded with more than once. I'd like to think they had a conscience. While there's nothing stopping them from taking the gun I just sold them, killing me, taking their money back, and going on a violent rampage, there's also nothing stopping me from using the money with their fingerprints on it to hire a hooker, kill her, and leave one of those bills at the crime scene.

We buy guns from private parties based on trust. Thousands of dollars worth of goods can change hands with people who we have never laid eyes on before at a gas station or parking lot. Most of us go there armed and let someone know where we'll be meeting in case something happens. We don't know for sure who the legal owner of the gun is. We have to take the seller on their word. They have to trust us to show up and not rob/kill them. If you can't trust someone to keep a piece of paper with the gun brand, model, serial number, date of sale, and your name on it to themselves, then you probably shouldn't be buying from them in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom