• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

That feeling you get when your brass look better than new

How do you polish your brass?

• Steel media in a rock tumbler

• Sonic cleaner

• I do it "Old School"!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have used Walnut media for nearly three decades. Recently, I had an issue that I had not experienced. The old media, Nu-Finish car wax, case lube and dryer sheet strips left a plastic like deposit on the rims (case head too) and necks of a bulk load of brass.

I used a pick to remove it and tried new media but the stuff was pretty sticky.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

So I finally took the plunge and went with steel pins. I went big. About 2,500 .223 cases, 1 tsp lemmi shine, 1-2 tablespoons of dawn, 4 gallons of water and about 15 lbs. stainless pins

DSC_0009.JPG

Air drying

DSC_0012.JPG

Ready to decrimp the primer pocket and trim the cases. The cases look like new inside and out with no residue to pick off.

DSC_0019.JPG

Last edited:
Any problem with pins staying with the cases? How long to dry? Laid out to dry? Rinsing needed?

More of issue if the cases haven't been deprimed. I rinse the cases in the cement mixer until the water clears. Sift out the steel pin media in a large colander and plastic pail, shaking the cases a bit to remove the pins. Drying time depends on heat and humidity.

i put a dillon cm 2000 in a large bathtub and seperate/rinse in it. i bet you could get all that brass on 3 racks in the oven.

i held off on the cm2k for a while,but after having it i wish ida done it from the start

Last edited:
the gray tub stays full of water and it helps float the media out. i do a pre dump of the initial blk water b4 it goes into dillon media seperator. this also gives it a secondary rinse and clears all soap residue

thatd prob be 4 racks/trays lol

I REALLY enjoy SS wet tumbling and the results it produces. Just as a personal preference, I enjoy seeing my brass with that "jewelry" appearance.

Typicall results:

Happy Tumbling-

Bayou

Last edited:
Any problem with pins staying with the cases? How long to dry? Laid out to dry? Rinsing needed?

I don't have a media separator yet so the process of removing the media takes me a bit longer. After rinsing I dump everything on a towel on my bench and hand separate the brass from the media and move to a cookie sheet with a lip so that the brass cant fall off that I use for Just my brass and nothing else. I have a gas oven so an hour in there with the pilot on and everything is dry

So I finally took the plunge and went with steel pins. I went big. About 2,500 .223 cases, 1 tsp lemmi shine, 1-2 tablespoons of dawn, 4 gallons of water and about 15 lbs. stainless pins

View attachment 610079

Holly crap thats a huge tumbler. I'm just using a cheap dual drum harbor freight one. I can only do about 100-150 rounds of 9mm at a time with my setup.. As much as I shoot/load I'd love to have one that big... what is it and how much did it set you back?

Back
Top Bottom