• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Ballistic Facts Of Life - John Farnam

If you nix the 6.8 then you have to nix the 6.5 grendal. Both rounds are identical to the number out to 600 yards. I have a hard time believing the 5.56 has the edge over both those rounds.

You've missed the point entirely apparently as you've now brought the 6.5 Grendel into the conversation. Why carry around a 6.5 when I can just use the MK17? Configuration dependent it can do everything better than either of those, with a cartridge the military already has billions of. Not to mention the 6.5 shoulder angle sucks, and both of them exert more wear via thrust on the bolt than the 5.56. I can go on all day, but as was made obvious, there is no magic bullet...the military knows this.

how about the 243 with a 100gr BTSP, at 500 yards vel.is 1912, engergy 810 ft pounds, and drop at 500 sighted in at 200 is only 42'', it's also low recoil, the only down side is barrel life. however with some of the new slow burning powders barrel life has beeen greatly extended. and I agree with an earlier post that we need to be training our men and women in uniform as rifleman to aim and kill not spray and pray.

M14.....That is all
I thought of that as well but it's a heavy bastard. It's accurate beyond belief. It's sturdy and proven. There are a couple of thing against it. It's heavy and the ammo is heavy in quantities.
M14.....That is all
You've missed the point entirely apparently as you've now brought the 6.5 Grendel into the conversation. Why carry around a 6.5 when I can just use the MK17? Configuration dependent it can do everything better than either of those, with a cartridge the military already has billions of. Not to mention the 6.5 shoulder angle sucks, and both of them exert more wear via thrust on the bolt than the 5.56. I can go on all day, but as was made obvious, there is no magic bullet...the military knows this.
I was just offering suggestions. There are a thousands of rounds superior to those I mentioned. I was just saying they are smaller rounds if introduced would still be able to be used in the existing AR15 platform with just a few changes. Hell I don't know what would be the perfect round. Apparently nor does the US military. or government for that matter. I am just throwing rounds out there.

Every Joe was got one including me. But the truth of the matter is, the AR platform is outdated. And so is he ak. Just because us and the ruskies are using those platforms doesn't mean thats the best options available.

Every Joe was got one including me. But the truth of the matter is, the AR platform is outdated. And so is he ak. Just because us and the ruskies are using those platforms doesn't mean thats the best options available.
I agree with that. Just look at the changes that would need to be taken into consideration. Set aside the training it would take for the troops to adjust to a new rifle platform but what do you do with all that surplus ammo. A good idea would be to sell it to us for 3 cents on the dollar. LOL I will take it. The AR15 platform and it's ammo is just fine for me. It will be years before we see a total change in rifle platform introduced into the Armed forces. They are slowly sticking in little changes like the cartridge less ammo. After it fires it spits out a plastic plug. Weird! I am sure they are using sub contractors to make new versions of a battle rifle but we won't hear anything about it until the change is complete. Like someone said there is not magic bullet but you can be the DOD is working on it.

There is not a perfect rifle/carbine, nor is there a perfect cartridge. That long rifle with the big bullets works great out in the open and across the mountains, but sucks for house clearing. That short, lightweight room sweeper is at a severe disadvantage at longer distances. Murphy’s Law states that when you need one, you’ll have the other.

Nothing wrong with the current, updated AR platform. The more modern systems, like the SCAR and Tavor, don’t offer any significant advantages, only present a different package that ends up doing the same thing. I don’t see any groundbreaking designs in infantry rifles and carbines coming down the pike until there is an earth shattering new ammunition design. As long as we’re launching metal projectiles out of metal cases filled with burning powder that is ignited by force, the tools to deploy them will remain relatively stagnant.

There is not a perfect rifle/carbine, nor is there a perfect cartridge. That long rifle with the big bullets works great out in the open and across the mountains, but sucks for house clearing. That short, lightweight room sweeper is at a severe disadvantage at longer distances. Murphy’s Law states that when you need one, you’ll have the other.

Nothing wrong with the current, updated AR platform. The more modern systems, like the SCAR and Tavor, don’t offer any significant advantages, only present a different package that ends up doing the same thing. I don’t see any groundbreaking designs in infantry rifles and carbines coming down the pike until there is an earth shattering new ammunition design. As long as we’re launching metal projectiles out of metal cases filled with burning powder that is ignited by force, the tools to deploy them will remain relatively stagnant.
Amen, Hallelujah pass the offering!

Back
Top Bottom