• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The BEER thread...

Killian, smithwick, Guiness, Yuengling, New Castle, Corona, PBR, most German Wheat beers, on occasion, shock top and fat tire
Before my stepfather had to quit drinking he used to go to the package store in Forsyth and get 2 30 packs of Bud which was all I had ever seen him or my father drink. But then he started buying that Newcastle Brown around 04/05. I had never known him to drink that pricey by-the-6-pack bottled beer. But when I asked him why he would buy $10.00 a 6 pack beer he told " Because it gets straight to the point." So I assume it's pretty strong stuff.
Then I remembered the line from my favorite Humble Pie tune 30 Days in the Hole.
" The Newcastle Brown will sho' smack you down..."

Before my stepfather had to quit drinking he used to go to the package store in Forsyth and get 2 30 packs of Bud which was all I had ever seen him or my father drink. But then he started buying that Newcastle Brown around 04/05. I had never known him to drink that pricey by-the-6-pack bottled beer. But when I asked him why he would buy $10.00 a 6 pack beer he told " Because it gets straight to the point." So I assume it's pretty strong stuff.
Then I remembered the line from my favorite Humble Pie tune 30 Days in the Hole.
" The Newcastle Brown will sho' smack you down..."

Well by that point, I'll have to start a new thread...

"Whiplash liquor, sure is quicker

Makes you sicker, it's the best!"

Live and learn, I was not privy to the numbers. Been my experience when the ABV gets above 7%, the taste begins to be compromized. That's not to say that there are some that I would like. Just have not experienced one yet. FYI keep the pumpkin, spices, fruit, nuts, outta the beer.

think of IBU as bitterness, the higher the number the more bitter it will be. For reference Bud Light is somewhere around 10.​

Haven't had one since the late 80s when I lived in Broward County FL. That's when I got into the Spanish beers and Red Stripe. I was hanging out at this bar in Pompano Beach when I was not quite 18 and taking full advantage of the Reggae Night Red Stripe specials.
Until I moved down there in 88 my favorite beers were Heineken and Lowenbrau Special Dark. But those Spanish beers like Sol ( still my favorite) ruined my palate for the thick German type beers. I've tried to drink a Heineken once or twice in the last few years but I can't get past the skunky smell as soon as you open the bottle.
And from what I can tell Lowenbrau doesn't exist anymore. That's a shame because when you're 17 and drinking underage a green bottle beer with fancy foil over the cap makes you really feel uptown and classy.
Man that Lowenbrau Special Dark brings back memories. Lowenbrau is still available in Germany...

I have great story about skunky beer...I went to the Dominican Republic last year and all they had at the resort was Presidente'. So nasty I only drank one. At the airport on our way home they had ice cold Becks. After a week in the hot sun with no beer it was the best d@mn beer ever!

Man that Lowenbrau Special Dark brings back memories. Lowenbrau is still available in Germany...

I have great story about skunky beer...I went to the Dominican Republic last year and all they had at the resort was Presidente'. So nasty I only drank one. At the airport on our way home they had ice cold Becks. After a week in the hot sun with no beer it was the best d@mn beer ever!
Yeah I don't get it. When I was a teenager I loved the German beers. But I guess a
L that time I spent in South Florida drinking that pilsner style Spanish beer just ruined it for me.

My first wife used to love Michelob Dark and we couldn't get it in Macon. So every time her mom flew in from Long Island we would hit this liquor store out by Hartsfield after we dropped mother in law off on her way back and get a couple of cases. You can't get that anymore either. I guess that's what Amber Bock replaced. But do we really have to get all snobby about it? I mean really...
Beer companies seem to follow trends to some degree which to me is more bad than good. I really liked Bud Dry back in the late 90s but AB wasn't making enough money on it and killed it. Oh and it's a regional thing too. I ain't found Old Milwaukee anywhere down here. And Darien where I live is not big on Miller/ Miller Lite. Back in Macon/Middle GA it's everywhere and cheap.

Funny you mention following trends. Heineken had the best commercial mocking trends. Don't stick a effin lime in my beer!!!!!! Hiney is my go to beer in a place where the selection is limited

Just remembered ordering a pitcher of Heineken at a Pizza Hut in England. Tasted like Bud or Coors on tap here. Nothing like what we get in the bottle here. Go figure?

Back
Top Bottom