• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The "Deadly" 22lr

Aaaaha so you admit it hurt ????? Lol.....and damn man you need to move closer to a hospital. Hahahaha.

I wasn't at home. I was out in the middle of BFE when it happens. As I said, I drove a couple of hours home to take a shower first. The hospital was only 20 minutes from my house.

I went home to take a shower first because it was July and I had been out I the heat for a couple of days without a shower. There was no way I was going to go sit in the ER for hours with my pants off with my junk smelling the way it did.

Probably not the smartest thing I ever did, but it mattered to me at the time and the pain wasn't bad.

My leg got stiff but I really didn't feel anything I would consider pain until they decided to irrigate the wound. That hurt like a mother****er.

Stupidest sh*t I've heard today
Dont get me wrong I would take a 22 over most any non firearm weapon but...

Simply put, If I am having to put a bullet into a person I expect to put them down as quickly as possible. This is accomplished by making big holes, breaking bones and causing blood loss. A 22 is not the weapon of choice for that.

And as far as the "Do you want to be shot with one?" issue goes... No, of course not. No sane, rational person would, but... If I am having to put a bullet into a person it is because they are NOT acting in a sane and rational manner

I hear you. I was referring to the "pointed stick " in the post you quoted. I have seen first hand what a 22 mag ( not a 22lr ) can do to a man. I've also seen a 22 short ( shot by a guy with a nuisance permit) drop a deer in it's tracks. I also saw him shoot one with a 22lr behind the shoulder, it ran 20 yards or so and fell over dead.

nwsharpshooter,
hey sorry about your mishap but how about telling the truth... I'm not just ragging on you but you did blame the gun. a follow down dis-charge isn't all that uncommon. happens all the time with old worn 1911's. just admit what really happened..... yeah you'll feel rather stupid for a while but it is something you've been carrying with you for all these years and still making excuses.... you getting shot wasn't the guns fault... you violated the first rule in safe handling of firearms. you didn't maintain control of the gun and had it pointed in an un-safe direction. a very good friend of mine loaded up a new to him 1911, released the slide and blew a hole.... thru and thru in his apartment wall. manager came running and he had to explain to him... not good, almost got him thrown out. but the really embarrassing part was looking thru the hole and seeing that it lined up perfect with the house across the street with a whole litter of kids...... took him two days to get up the nerve to go over and explain what happened..... omg were they mad but him coming over and admitting it along with no one hurt..... things calmed down after about 15 minutes of the wife screaming at him... he then inspected the front of the house.... after assuring them he'd fix any damages. no bullet hole... never did figure out where the bullet went. funny part was the woman brought him a piece of cake the next day and said she was sorry for all the screaming he took. like I said it happens a lot, I'm a retired gunsmith with over 45 years experience and have seen so many guns that this type of accident has happened with.

all this discussion of a .22lr lack of penetration and will it go thru a vest or a carhart jacket is total bs.... if like me, you carry a .22lr much of the year... trust me I'd never shot you in center of mass... no it'll be three shots to the head..... haven't any of you ever been around a farm, every day so many people put animals down with a .22 I've seen 250 pound pigs dropped as well as 1,000 pound steers all dead right there from one shot in the brain..... why would you ever think a person would fair any better much less with three slugs in their brain. and yes when I can carry a bigger gun I do..... a 4" colt diamondback in .38 special loaded with glaser safety slugs. a little pricey but absolute one shot, one kill and yes get the right ones and they will go right thru a vest.

I've got first hand experience with what a .22lr will do.... I admit that for 6 years (4 year degree and grad work) I was a completely broke starving student..... what with tuition, books, lab fees, gas for car etc. etc. etc. I can well remember only having $12.00 for two of us to eat off of for a week. so a small group of fellow students and I would go poaching now and then... had to play it smart... one shot from a .22lr won't get any ones attention and second sure will same with anything bigger... so we learned to get up close and make head shots.... over the years we killed a bunch of tender fat does..... state wildlife census said there was 95 does to every buck and the state didn't have a doe season (not Georgia)... so we never felt bad about taking them down. I used to know a young man here in Georgia whose dad would send him out to poach a deer every couple of weeks.... handed him the family .22 rifle and three rounds... if he didn't come back with a deer he got beat with a stick of firewood.... his only acceptable excuse was if he shot a revenue agent..... daddy was a drunk moonshiner..... if terry happens to be on here, been many years love to hear from you.... anyway never under estimate what a .22lr will do.

Back
Top Bottom