• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The "Deadly" 22lr

I hear you. I was referring to the "pointed stick " in the post you quoted. I have seen first hand what a 22 mag ( not a 22lr ) can do to a man. I've also seen a 22 short ( shot by a guy with a nuisance permit) drop a deer in it's tracks. I also saw him shoot one with a 22lr behind the shoulder, it ran 20 yards or so and fell over dead.

.22lr is good for infirm/handicapped people, not everybody can handle a 9mm/.45/.40. Especially older females. A great thread though with lots of good points made.

nwsharpshooter,
hey sorry about your mishap but how about telling the truth... I'm not just ragging on you but you did blame the gun. a follow down dis-charge isn't all that uncommon. happens all the time with old worn 1911's. just admit what really happened..... yeah you'll feel rather stupid for a while but it is something you've been carrying with you for all these years and still making excuses.... you getting shot wasn't the guns fault... you violated the first rule in safe handling of firearms. you didn't maintain control of the gun and had it pointed in an un-safe direction. a very good friend of mine loaded up a new to him 1911, released the slide and blew a hole.... thru and thru in his apartment wall. manager came running and he had to explain to him... not good, almost got him thrown out. but the really embarrassing part was looking thru the hole and seeing that it lined up perfect with the house across the street with a whole litter of kids...... took him two days to get up the nerve to go over and explain what happened..... omg were they mad but him coming over and admitting it along with no one hurt..... things calmed down after about 15 minutes of the wife screaming at him... he then inspected the front of the house.... after assuring them he'd fix any damages. no bullet hole... never did figure out where the bullet went. funny part was the woman brought him a piece of cake the next day and said she was sorry for all the screaming he took. like I said it happens a lot, I'm a retired gunsmith with over 45 years experience and have seen so many guns that this type of accident has happened with.

all this discussion of a .22lr lack of penetration and will it go thru a vest or a carhart jacket is total bs.... if like me, you carry a .22lr much of the year... trust me I'd never shot you in center of mass... no it'll be three shots to the head..... haven't any of you ever been around a farm, every day so many people put animals down with a .22 I've seen 250 pound pigs dropped as well as 1,000 pound steers all dead right there from one shot in the brain..... why would you ever think a person would fair any better much less with three slugs in their brain. and yes when I can carry a bigger gun I do..... a 4" colt diamondback in .38 special loaded with glaser safety slugs. a little pricey but absolute one shot, one kill and yes get the right ones and they will go right thru a vest.

I've got first hand experience with what a .22lr will do.... I admit that for 6 years (4 year degree and grad work) I was a completely broke starving student..... what with tuition, books, lab fees, gas for car etc. etc. etc. I can well remember only having $12.00 for two of us to eat off of for a week. so a small group of fellow students and I would go poaching now and then... had to play it smart... one shot from a .22lr won't get any ones attention and second sure will same with anything bigger... so we learned to get up close and make head shots.... over the years we killed a bunch of tender fat does..... state wildlife census said there was 95 does to every buck and the state didn't have a doe season (not Georgia)... so we never felt bad about taking them down. I used to know a young man here in Georgia whose dad would send him out to poach a deer every couple of weeks.... handed him the family .22 rifle and three rounds... if he didn't come back with a deer he got beat with a stick of firewood.... his only acceptable excuse was if he shot a revenue agent..... daddy was a drunk moonshiner..... if terry happens to be on here, been many years love to hear from you.... anyway never under estimate what a .22lr will do.

A. I never blamed the gun
B. I have yet to lie in this thread and I'm getting pretty sick of people calling me a liar
C. Good luck getting off carefully aimed headshots in the heat of the moment
D. WOW

@fifthhorsm

Please tell us more about this 38 special round fired from a 4 inch revolver that will penetrate a NIJ Standard 0101.05 level II vest (the industry standard for leo and criminal alike). I assume you already know that a level II vest will actually stop penetration of pistol rounds up to the level III-A standard for soft body armor. A level II vest fails the "blunt trauma" standard when hit with a level III-A 1400 foot per second 9mm fmj round fired from a submachine length barrel gun, or a 44 magnum SJHP at 1400 feet per second.......but there is no penetration by either round.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballistic_Protection_Levels.shtml

"It is important to know that Level II-A, II and III-A all stop the overwhelming majority of pistol projectiles you are ever likely to encounter (plus 12 gauge, OO buckshot), and also to know that NO armor is ever 100% ‘bulletproof’ under ALL conceivable circumstances.

However, these ratings often have a safety margin for penetration because blunt trauma is usually the limiting factor in certification. For example, Level II body armor would likely stop the III-A test standard, (9 mm submachine gun at 1400 fps) from actually PENETRATING through the Level II vest. But, the Level II vest would fail on blunt trauma impact (the NIJ deems any dent greater than ~1.7" (~44 mm.) on the soft clay test surface, a FAIL).

So, the advantage in increasing protection Levels from II-A, to II, to III-A, is NOT so much protection from PENETRATION of pistol fire, but a significant reduction in the blunt trauma received."

A 38 special round fired from a 4 inch barrel that will penetrate a level II vest may indeed exist, although I have never heard of, or seen one in action. Please tell us more.

Jennings 22 with a stuck firing pin or sharp extractor. Dropped the slide and it went off. 22LR straight into the left knee. I was sitting in the drivers seat of my truck at the time.
B. I have yet to lie in this thread and I'm getting pretty sick of people calling me a liar
D. WOW

Sorry, I just assumed you were lying when you said you owned a Jennings...

I have a reasonably sharp Exacto knife, a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, and an only occasionally unsteady hand...I'll take care of that bullet at the next meet and greet.
IN for pics!

D. WOW
Not the kind of story someone tell on themselves if not true, is it?

about 3 CCI .22 stingers fired out of Jennings into the torso will take the lead out of about anyone's pencil.

Three ice pickings to the torso will take the lead out of anyone's pencil, too... But I'd prefer something else.

Lot's of people have talked about how effective 22LR is at dispatching deer and farm animals, and I've seen how well it does with dogs. But, the thing to remember is a) most of these are shot from a rifle, not a pistol, b) the shots are to stopped targets, a.k.a., easy to hit, c) the targets in question are "low threat", i.e., little consequence if you miss, and d) the skulls are flat on to the impacting round.

In the self defense world, a0 you'll likely be using a pistol with significantly lower velocity, b) the target will probably not be stopped, c) if you don't put him down he'll either shoot, stab, or beat you to death before bleeding out (assuming he bleeds out), and d) the skull, even if flat on, has very little flat area in front of the brain pan.

I mean, heck, with all this talk about how awesome 22LR is, maybe big game hunters in Africa should just switch to 22LR. If it's this penetrating and bounce around damaging, surely it can take down Cape Buffalo, right?

OK, all joking aside. If you want to carry a 22LR for self defense, so be it. But you need to be honest about it. Take an IDPA target, and draw two eyes on it. Place it at 5 yards minimum. Using a shot timer, draw from concealment and put at least one round in one of the eyes. If you can do it in under 2 seconds you might be OK. Any other shot might kill him, but not before he has time to return the favor.

As for me, I'll stick to 9mm, .40, or .45, with the occasional .380, which is at least a center fire. And, by the way, the .380 is also about the same size as most "small" 22LRs.

Back
Top Bottom