• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The lasting impact of defective Remington 700 triggers

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
This could be any of our families. It's a heartbreaking read. I had followed a number of accidental discharge cases related to the Remington 700 Walker trigger. Some very sad stories of accidental deaths and maimings. But I didn't know the X Mark Pro trigger and the subsequent recall had this kind of carnage associated with it.

https://www.thetrace.org/features/remington-rifle-mississippi-brothers-shooting/

WOW, that's one sad story. I cannot imagine the pain that father went through testifying against his son only to find out his son was innocent! And Remington, not having to track down owners of guns capable of firing without pulling the trigger .

I hope you realize that is an unabashedly anti 2A pro gun control site?

Do your own research and decide how "guilty" Remington was.

"The Trace is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit newsroom dedicated to shining a light on America’s gun violence crisis."

agreed, GeauxLSU. The anti-gunners want to scare people into thinking that, in general, guns are unsafe. Guns shouldn't be in homes where kids live. Shooting is not an appropriate activity for youth sports. Nor is hunting with firearms. Guns sometimes just "go off" by themselves.

I've only heard of TWO cases that convinced me that a gun actually did fire by itself without the human pulling the trigger, and both guns were contaminated with foreign material that impaired their proper function:

1-- a firing pin on an AK or SKS rifle got rusted into the fixed forward position, and it slam-fired the first round or two when the owner inserted a fresh mag and dropped the bolt to chamber the first round. RUST was the problem with that gun- it's like the firing pin was welded, creating an open-bolt full auto.

2-- ICE had frozen a gun's action while hunting one winter. The hunter tried to pull the trigger but the gun wouldn't shoot. He couldn't clear the chamber--the action was frozen shut. So he put it in his truck and drove home. The truck's heater eventually defrosted the gun and IT FIRED once the ice melted. Apparantly the sear did release when the hunter pulled the trigger a half-hour before, but the hammer couldn't fall or the striker couldn't fly forward due to ice.
It shot a hole through the dude's vehicle door.

I hope you realize that is an unabashedly anti 2A pro gun control site?

Do your own research and decide how "guilty" Remington was.

"The Trace is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit newsroom dedicated to shining a light on America’s gun violence crisis."

I have done my own research. Being a gun manufacturer doesn't imbue an organization with moral purity. Nor does being anti 2A automatically set another organization outside the bounds of relaying a story truthfully.

There's plenty of culpability to go around. Just about every gun accident involving injury or death involves breaking some important gun safety rules. The person holding the weapon does bear the ultimate responsibility. But that doesn't mean accountability for others is off the table.

I have done my own research. Being a gun manufacturer doesn't imbue an organization with moral purity. Nor does being anti 2A automatically set another organization outside the bounds of relaying a story truthfully.

There's plenty of culpability to go around. Just about every gun accident involving injury or death involves breaking some important gun safety rules. The person holding the weapon does bear the ultimate responsibility. But that doesn't mean accountability for others is off the table.
I've done mine as well and have found zero fault with Remington.
You are certainly free to draw a different conclusion but I'll simply request next time you post a bleeding heart hit piece on a manufacturer, at least consider not posting it from an anti gun site. While you may give it credence, I see it, and every other article on that site (some quit humorous) for the propaganda it is.

agreed, GeauxLSU. The anti-gunners want to scare people into thinking that, in general, guns are unsafe. Guns shouldn't be in homes where kids live. Shooting is not an appropriate activity for youth sports. Nor is hunting with firearms. Guns sometimes just "go off" by themselves.

I've only heard of TWO cases that convinced me that a gun actually did fire by itself without the human pulling the trigger, and both guns were contaminated with foreign material that impaired their proper function:

1-- a firing pin on an AK or SKS rifle got rusted into the fixed forward position, and it slam-fired the first round or two when the owner inserted a fresh mag and dropped the bolt to chamber the first round. RUST was the problem with that gun- it's like the firing pin was welded, creating an open-bolt full auto.

2-- ICE had frozen a gun's action while hunting one winter. The hunter tried to pull the trigger but the gun wouldn't shoot. He couldn't clear the chamber--the action was frozen shut. So he put it in his truck and drove home. The truck's heater eventually defrosted the gun and IT FIRED once the ice melted. Apparantly the sear did release when the hunter pulled the trigger a half-hour before, but the hammer couldn't fall or the striker couldn't fly forward due to ice.
It shot a hole through the dude's vehicle door.
I had a 1911 do similar to your first example. Went off in my wife's hand. I told her she HAD to have touched the trigger. She swore she didn't. I took it from her and put 2 in the mag and dropped the slide and boom-boom. Scared the every living stuff out of me! Bent sear spring. Its a WW2 era Remington Rand. I should have sued Remington.

I've done mine as well and have found zero fault with Remington.

Remington's own engineers have admitted culpability. I fail to see how your findings square that.

You are certainly free to draw a different conclusion but I'll simply request next time you post a bleeding heart hit piece on a manufacturer, at least consider not posting it from an anti gun site. While you may give it credence, I see it, and every other article on that site (some quit humorous) for the propaganda it is.

I don't see the piece itself as anti-gun. To deny that guns are dangerous, and defective guns particularly so, because it suits your politics, strikes me as self-deceiving.

As a Father of two sons this mans story moved me, however the older son loaded the rifle and was jokingly threatening the younger son with it.
Would the gun have fired with the safety on eventually? We don't know. Would anyone have been killed or injured if it did? We don't know.
We do know that the younger son wouldn't have had the top of his head blown off that night if the older son hadn't improperly handled the rifle.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation because I can't imagine losing a son, especially due to the actions of the other son, but this article mentions gun registration as a way this could have been prevented as each owner of the rifle could be directly contacted about the recall. I'm not convinced that registration could have prevented this tragedy or any other.

Back
Top Bottom