• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The lasting impact of defective Remington 700 triggers

It's not about the Stringer family. It's about gun registration, aka gun control. It's the ENTIRE reason for that site's existence. OPEN YOUR FREAKING EYES!
Yes, it's worth quoting to show those who aren't willfully blind it's blatant slant and exposing it for what it is. I'm amazed anyone can read that story and all it's digs at "the gun culture" as anything other than a Bloomberg wet dream.
Yes he was convicted of manslaughter, he committed murder. For whatever difference that makes. It means the son was GUILTY of his brother's death.
Roger Stringer is trying to salvage his destroyed family and find someone, anyone, anything to blame, but himself or his remaining lineage.
I've no doubt he'd refuse any financial settlement.... you know.... for the children. :rolleyes:
You're right... there's a "drumbeat" in this thread all right. A tired, patently false, one.

Yes, it's a gun control site. So what? Your reaction is no different than an anti-gun leftist rejecting NRA led-safety classes, 'cause, you know, "It's the NRA!" At some point, you have to examine the issues, rather than relying on ad hom to make your case.

Yes he was convicted of manslaughter, he committed murder. For whatever difference that makes. It means the son was GUILTY of his brother's death.

He was charged with murder. Of course he was guilty of causing his brother's death. Nobody disputes this. The difference between murder and manslaughter is generally malice, intent, or the commission of another, aggravating felony that created the circumstances for the death. I'll trust the jury's decision in this regard.

I have taken my 1970s Rem 700 rifle out for testing since the first lawsuit over the 1960s-2000's era "Walker trigger" designed by Mike Walker who worked for Remington.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/19/under-oath-inventor-of-controversial-remington-trigger-speaks.html

My rifle won't fire if you pull the trigger with the safety on, then release the safety without touching the trigger.
My rifle won't fire if you beat on the stock with a rubber mallet, safety "off." I didn't whack it as hard as I could, but I whacked it harder than most people would do to a precision varmint rifle.
I'm not worried.
I think the lawsuits are a bunch of made-up B.S. seeking to get a financial windfall, first to the class representatives and secondly to the law firm handling the class action suit.

I have no opinion about the second recall, on the X-mark Pro trigger. I have no experience with it, and, since I've never owned a Remington rifle made during that period, I've never bothered to read up on it.

Now this video SHOWS some law enforcement and military snipers/ countersnipers demonstrating accidental discharges with their Rem. 700 tactical rifles. The videos show they did NOT touch the trigger at the time the shot fired. They were touching the bolt handle, or the safety lever, but not the trigger.

Still, I wonder if these rifles had improperly-adjusted triggers, or were butchered by some incompetent basement gunsmith /armorer who thought he knew how to do a "trigger job" but failed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/19/under-oath-inventor-of-controversial-remington-trigger-speaks.html

P.S. In every case of personal injury mentioned in this video, the user of the gun violated Cooper's fundamental rule #2-- muzzle control. While handling the rifles, they allowed the muzzles to point at their friends, their fellow hunters, their kids, or in one case a trailer home that they "thought" was unoccupied, but in fact there was a kid in it or right behind it, and that rifle bullet easily zipped through the alumimum walls of that trailer/camper.

I've had guns go off when I didn't expect them to. And it was my fault. But, I always had them pointed in safe directions. No more harm than a chip in the concrete floor of my basement, or a hole in the dirt next to the hunting cabin. No real damage to speak of.

I have taken my 1970s Rem 700 rifle out for testing since the first lawsuit over the 1960s-2000's era "Walker trigger" designed by Mike Walker who worked for Remington.

My rifle won't fire if you pull the trigger with the safety on, then release the safety without touching the trigger.
My rifle won't fire if you beat on the stock with a rubber mallet, safety "off." I didn't whack it as hard as I could, but I whacked it harder than most people would do to a precision varmint rifle.
I'm not worried.
I think the lawsuits are a bunch of made-up B.S. seeking to get a financial windfall, first to the class representatives and secondly to the law firm handling the class action suit.

I have no opinion about the second recall, on the X-mark Pro trigger. I have no experience with it, and, since I've never owned a Remington rifle made during that period, I've never bothered to read up on it.

The lawsuits are not BS but are not a measurable (I.E. less then 1%) amount of Rem 700's. I have owned both w/o issue but the fact remains even Rem has said there is an issue with both triggers.

I believe the son is to blame 100% for his little brothers death. Should he have to live the rest of his life as a felon? No but not because he is special but because I believe if you are walking free, off probation/parole then you should live like a free man again.

This is about ignorance in the gun community where basic, simple safety procedures could have prevented death but the I've been around guns my entire life I know what to do arrogant crowd got complacent

if you look at the design of the walker trigger it does have a design flaw IMHO ... the floating sear bar( or whatever they call it) can get dirt or grime between it and the trigger bar thus making the sear engagement short or non existent. the other flaw for the average person is they made it adjustable. should have simply made a good trigger with a 3lb trigger pull. the triggers can be made perfectly safe but it take a smith who knows what he's doing.. much easier to upgrade if you want a light trigger pull.

Have I adjusted my walker trigger .. yes without issue. but I may not be the average shooter as I build my own custom rifles and match 1911s. Rifles are all rem 700s..

the other lesson is to clean you trigger assembly(how many of you have ever even thought of this). Clean it with lighter fluid and leave it... no oil or anything else..

the one 700 I've seen that had a trigger fail was filthy and gummy.

is Remington the only maker with design flaws.. nope The older Savage 100 trigger would become unsafe if you loosened the trigger spring in an attempt to lighten the pull. plus the guns are old enough now that the spring is weak.. I just repaired a gun in this condition for my neighbor.. Never designed to be a 2.5 trigger.

did I replace all my Walker triggers.. nope.. I just keep them clean and correctly adjusted. If I want a better trigger I install an aftermarket. I and my family absolutely love the Remington 700 and model 7s and hunt with nothing else.

As always, follow the damn safety rules.

in the case described here the son was guilty. period

Back
Top Bottom