• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The lasting impact of defective Remington 700 triggers

Lol, I had a 300 RUM go off removing the safety. The xmark and Walker are death traps. Believe what you want but there are some folks who are no longer with us because of corporate greed. **** Remington.

Had the trigger been worked on? Factory condition.

Anyone stupid, mouth breathing retard enough to have a gun pointed at a non combatant when flicking the safety off should be beaten to death with the "defective" firearm.

Agreed up to a point! Lol.

I may not beat someone to death with their gun (a little hyperbolic) but I can guarantee you that person would remember the next ten minutes after the flick of the safety for the rest of their lives.

Heres another one. Why would you want one of these pieces of ****? Whats the point of buying a Rem 700 if there are so many other options out there. How can you defend this company?

Is there a video of a discharging 700 out of the box from the distributor and before any hillbilly brain surgeon tried to "smooth out tha triggar?" A video of a malfunctioning safety without any context does nothing for me. None of my 700s have ever done this but I'm not retarded enough to point my rifle at someone when I take the safety off either. My software safety is better than any hardware safety.

Is there a video of a discharging 700 out of the box from the distributor and before any hillbilly brain surgeon tried to "smooth out tha triggar?" A video of a malfunctioning safety without any context does nothing for me. None of my 700s have ever done this but I'm not retarded enough to point my rifle at someone when I take the safety off either. My software safety is better than any hardware safety.
I guess you can assume that the allegations out there the users have bubba'd the triggers but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and believe them. And the problem isn't about someone taking the safety off while pointing a gun at someone, thats just retarded. The problem is there are Rem 700's out there that are firing due to a mechanical failure. I guess you can believe what you want but for me I'll pass.

agreed, GeauxLSU. The anti-gunners want to scare people into thinking that, in general, guns are unsafe. Guns shouldn't be in homes where kids live. Shooting is not an appropriate activity for youth sports. Nor is hunting with firearms. Guns sometimes just "go off" by themselves.

I've only heard of TWO cases that convinced me that a gun actually did fire by itself without the human pulling the trigger, and both guns were contaminated with foreign material that impaired their proper function:

1-- a firing pin on an AK or SKS rifle got rusted into the fixed forward position, and it slam-fired the first round or two when the owner inserted a fresh mag and dropped the bolt to chamber the first round. RUST was the problem with that gun- it's like the firing pin was welded, creating an open-bolt full auto.

2-- ICE had frozen a gun's action while hunting one winter. The hunter tried to pull the trigger but the gun wouldn't shoot. He couldn't clear the chamber--the action was frozen shut. So he put it in his truck and drove home. The truck's heater eventually defrosted the gun and IT FIRED once the ice melted. Apparantly the sear did release when the hunter pulled the trigger a half-hour before, but the hammer couldn't fall or the striker couldn't fly forward due to ice.
It shot a hole through the dude's vehicle door.

I have witnessed ONE Accidental Discharge in my life.

I was running a NC Concealed course and one of my students had showed up with a nambu pistol that he wanted to trade for something to carry

After the class everyone was hanging around talking. I loaded up the nambu and realized the batteries were dead in my ear pro. I laid the weapon on the table muzzle down range, walked over to my range bag and was in the process of changing batteries when I heard a shot.

The Nambu decided to randomly discharge. There was nobody within 8 feet of it.

Glad it happened to me on the range and not my student when he was carrying it.

if there's truly a mechanical problem with the safety and it's not just an issue of People tampering with the trigger geometry or cleanliness then that needs to be addressed. Random videos of people who give no credentials sighting in their guns and moving the safety back and forth until they get one to discharge doesn't tell me a single thing.

Since this issue was first reported in the lamestream media I have taken my 700s the range and flicked the safety back and forth about a million times trying to get it to discharge on any of my rifles. I got to tell you I felt a little left out that I could never get one to fire without me pulling the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom