• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The new normal

Glock re-releases OD Glocks. They sell new for $525. The week they re released an ODT'er rushes out to find one and immediately flips it here for $175 profit.

Someone says they saw Shields for $399 at Clyde's. Two hour later Athens area ODTers list them here for $600. Pics taken in their cars.

Springfield announces the XDs in 9mm. They shipped out this week with the first shops getting them yesterday. They are $476- $529 at shops. An ODT member rushes out to find one today specifically to flip for a $150 profit on the ODT.

I don't like the "new normal". It's sleazy.

i learned a long time ago that you have to be an idiot to buy from about 90% of the people on this forum. i dont waste my time looking at firearms here anymore. if i wanna take it in the ass, i can do that at the local gun store.

Last edited:
i learned a long time ago that you have to be an idiot to buy from about 90% of the people on this forum.

That number, 90%, is pretty close for me, but for a different reason. I don't buy Aks, ARs, Glocks, 1911s, bolt actions, or shotguns, so there is only about 10% of the people have what I look to buy. But, to each his or her own.

AO, you are correct the product does already exist. And yes, they are acting like the middle man in the deal and driving up the price. No argument on that, but the market is where the buyers are, specifically, in this discussion, ODT. I have no idea why anyone would buy a brand new gun on ODT for more than they can buy at the LGS. But, apparently some people are, because the guns don't last long. I dislike the fact that people are buying from these asshats. I wish that they would at least try and find out the price before they buy, but some just don't. You may say it is all about the dollar. That has never changed for some. This thread was about the new norm, you mean no one has ever sold anything on here for a profit? Heck, we had a member who sold fake stuff on here to unsuspecting buyers. This chasing the almighty dollar is not new at all, it is certainly not the new norm, just the same old norm.

And yes, it can be illegal to do. No argument at all there.

Like it or not. The reason people spend more money on a used or new gun than what it MSRP is simple. Some people will go to any extreme to keep from filling out the "4473" and if that means paying more than retail than so be it. Do you not think they're are felons on here blending in and buying guns? Look at how many people on this site gripe and refuse to do business with anyone who wants a B.O.S. Yes, people on this board have created this frenzy by their actions. Flippers have picked up on this and are providing the service people have longed for and that's "sell me a gun with NO paperwork". Sooner or later one of those flippers guns will land in the wrong hands and the ATF will knock on their door demanding answers to a gun they sold years ago, and they have no idea where it went, but they do remember they profited $50 off the sell. I am not a flipper or a felon, but how many guns have you seen on this site sell and show up at the next gun show for sale or vice versa. Then the balls one has on here to buy a gun and turn around and re-list it for a profit knowing the previous seller has to see his old gun back for sale.

All this written bickering is giving plenty of ammo(no pun intended) to any anti gun person/group out there on why sites like this should be shut down and why there should be expanded background checks. You're spelling out their argument. Shhhhhhh

Last edited:
:D

But in all seriousness, while I realize that the point of the OP was "the new norm", and while also realizing "pricing" will be a contentious discussion, I can't help but to focus on the act of flipping and mention my subsequent disgust.

I couldn't help but bring up the legal ramifications when one of the admitted flippers decided to drop in ...... I love irony :lol:

Just leave it on the damn shelf!! :rant:

There you go again making things up. I have never and will never be a self admitted flipper as I am not a flipper. I am a hobbyist, just like others on this sight, who looses money on most deals.

I think OS got it right when he called you a bunch of intolerant people who whine and cry when you don't get your own way. It is always the same SMALL group of you that like to call names and throw insulting terms around when people don't behave as you thing they should. Now, to top it off you try to intimidate people by mentioning the ATF and IRS. The worst part of it is that none of you are even interested in buying the guns that you are whining about.

It is my belief that you simply have too much time on your hands and just want everyone to behave like you want them to. You don't like the fact that people don't agree with you for the most part so you go to this forum and attack people behind the safety of your keyboard. It really is sad.

There you go again making things up. I have never and will never be a self admitted flipper as I am not a flipper. I am a hobbyist, just like others on this sight, who looses money on most deals.

I think OS got it right when he called you a bunch of intolerant people who whine and cry when you don't get your own way. It is always the same SMALL group of you that like to call names and throw insulting terms around when people don't behave as you thing they should. Now, to top it off you try to intimidate people by mentioning the ATF and IRS. The worst part of it is that none of you are even interested in buying the guns that you are whining about.

It is my belief that you simply have too much time on your hands and just want everyone to behave like you want them to. You don't like the fact that people don't agree with you for the most part so you go to this forum and attack people behind the safety of your keyboard. It really is sad.

Guess you don't remember one of your previous posts ..... :rolleyes:

I think all of us have seen that numerous times. I am wondering though, can you answer the specific questions that were asked?

If not, how about these?

1. How much money must be made to be considered a livelihood?
2. How many sales must occur to be considered repetitive and in what time frame?
3. How about someone on ODT that trades a gun they have for another with the goal of using the new one for further trade purposes? That will show multiple feedback so it must be repetitive, right?

I would venture to say that you do not know the REAL answers to these questions but you will likely come back with something about a high number of feedbacks within a short period of time. It would be unfortunate for you if you did because you have no idea of what items were bought, sold or traded in order to get that feedback rating. For all you know, someone could be selling jelly beans!

Did Someone say Jelly Beans? ;)

All this written bickering is giving plenty of ammo(no pun intended) to any anti gun person/group out there on why sites like this should be shut down and why there should be expanded background checks. You're spelling out their argument. Shhhhhhh

I see your position but I don't think I really agree with it. I was raised to be self-disciplined. Momma taught me right from wrong and then whipped my ass if I crossed over. As I grew up the groups I associated with were guided by the same principle. Police yourself. My old football coach would tell you "Check your cleats". To me, it's always been a constant goal to self-correct so the corrections never need to be done by an outsider. Seeing people within our community flagrantly break the law and NOT at least saying something is hard. And knowing that these vermin are GOING to bring down the atttention of the very agencies that we all hope to avoid is frustrating to say the least. A **** storm is coming gents. And it will be thanks to those right here who are illegally dealing in firearms and ammunition. But we are deserving of that storm because we(both the buyers and the sideline sitters) are complicit in the crime even if it's only through our silence. Unfortunately, the punishment, when it comes is going to be disproportionately harsh both to the site and to many of us who will have a microscope shoved up OUR asses as we are gathered up in a net of guilt by association.

Back
Top Bottom