• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
is there a rough count of members that are interested as well so we can get an idea of how much each would need to contribute. I've seen folks talking about a bottle or two but i think we will need people that are trying to get 10-20 bottles to really make it happen.

is there a rough count of members that are interested as well so we can get an idea of how much each would need to contribute. I've seen folks talking about a bottle or two but i think we will need people that are trying to get 10-20 bottles to really make it happen.
I just don’t know if that’s feasible, 10-20 bottles a person. I only own 25-30 bottles and buy when I empty one. That’s just my humble opinion.

I just don’t know if that’s feasible, 10-20 bottles a person. I only own 25-30 bottles and buy when I empty one. That’s just my humble opinion.
im thinking of it as a time to stock up on harder to find bottles.

my main line of thinking is a barrel is going to be at least 8-10k. so unless they can find 40-50 people then everyone is gonna need to be in for 300-500. The more folks that get added then the harder it gets to organize but that all depends on how much work the guys that can get the barrel want to do.

im thinking of it as a time to stock up on harder to find bottles.

my main line of thinking is a barrel is going to be at least 8-10k. so unless they can find 40-50 people then everyone is gonna need to be in for 300-500. The more folks that get added then the harder it gets to organize but that all depends on how much work the guys that can get the barrel want to do.
Yeah, I hear ya. If we can get one of the three mentioned or a hard to get bottle at or around MSRP then I would probably take the plunge.

I just posted in the other thread that had the open poll running. I'm good to commit to at least 4 bottles for whatever the final choice is and very likely more dependent on price. I voted for Weller but beggers can't be choosers here.

I guess it's going to take longer than I hoped.

Private barrel allocations are committed at Sazarac. The store owner is looking to see what else might be out there. It is possible that we might snag something in late October as barrel commitments shake out. It is more likely that we will have better luck in the spring as bourbon comes out in the fall and then again in the spring, I am told.

Someone asked why a store would help us vs. buy for themselves? I'm told that stores get allocations too. Private barrels are outside store allocations and provide extra opportunities for access to new customers and additional product. I'm also told that the distilleries believe that private barrel sales increase brand loyalty. Stores who help secure barrels get new customers too. Win/win.

Someone also asked what the bottle count/person and price might look like. What I'm working on is something along these lines (subject to change based on the rules of the game, we will do this by the book)...

The store will (must) acquire the barrel and hold it on our behalf. ODT Bourbon Club (aka the Hen Juice Lovers Society) members will have first right of refusal to purchase bottles (of whatever quantities they wish) via the store, with a modest markup to cover the Owner's participation (perhaps as little as 10%). Based on the barrel price list, anticipate we should be under $100/bottle Considering that top shelf products cost 2-3 times that on the open market (or more), I would call that a reasonable price point. At this time, there will be no up front cost to anyone but me. Of course, deposits of over-priced Glocks are always considered (sarcasm). That's it.

So what's the catch? Time. Plain and simple. The store owner is a good friend and has always been a good friend to the community, as well.

As we wait, if anyone has access to a barrel earlier, at least we have a store owner ready to assist.

I apologize if anyone is dismayed that a product type isn't nailed down and timing isn't sooner, but the store owner and I believed we had a line on several quality barrels that fell through. It's a bear market and cash is king.

Good things come to those who wait, I'm told.

Keep the faith.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom